Cyclechat investigates...soaps

Which is the best soap?

• Coronation Street, the obvious best

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • EastEnders, lots of shouting and gangsters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmerdale, home of the cast slaughtering plane crash

• Brookside, where everyone was a drug dealer, R.I.P.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Albion Market, someone must surely have watched it?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Neighbours - what's that? The postman's wife is dead!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Home and Awaybours

• Eldorado, Accy's favourite

• Hollyoaks, lots of young people snogging

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I would rather smear my undercarriage with treacle and sit on an anthill than watch a soap

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
DALLAS!

dallas.png

JR.png

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
J.R. Ewing. My kind of guy.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
<rant>Soaps and their utterly ridiculous take in 'reality', are, in my opinion, largely responsible for the easily perceived drop in the intelligence of the general public. Whole swathes of the country speak like the Eastenders cast, which, trust me, is not in any way related to how people in that area used to speak. They all do now, though.
Junk for soft minds.
</rant>
There is no evidence whatsoever that the general public's intelligence is any lower than it ever was, despite your assertion there is an "easily perceived drop". Quite the opposite in fact. Average IQ test scores have been increasing

The accent people use to talk is not a reflection of their intelligence. So get off your soap-box

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In a similar vein we were talking about Annie Sugden still being alive, actually the actress who played her is still alive, Sheila Mercier who turned 100 on the 1st of January this year.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Never suggested it was, only that that accent has become more widespread...
I personally know of incidents of people, when needing to visit A&E, asking where Charlie is. And they're not joking.
And I'm standing on a vintage beer crate.

OK, but do you still stand by the assertion that the general public's intelligence is falling, despite all the evidence to the contrary?

Can I throw two more into the hat..

Pobol Y Cwm

Rownd A Rownd.

The former being a starting point for many aspiring Welsh actors, one Ioan Gruffudd doing an eight year stint at the start of his career.

The latter is more of a youth based soap but in 2005 was graced with Ceri Cunnington (front man of North Wales band Anweledig) who joined the soap for a year or two.

And although my knowledge of Scottish soaps is not that great was there not one called Take The High Road?

classic33

Leg End Member
It wasn't a 'soap' originally was it? As I recall it was on Sunday night for a season or two a year - not every week, and not a few times a week. I too used to enjoy the 'oh god, it's not going to end well for the people on the coach - not with the storm, that light aircraft and the tired and stressed lorry driver' moment at the start.

Also, wasn't there a vaguely 'comic' porter, possibly of Eastern European descent, in the early series'? Or am I just remembering one funny incident as indicative of the whole character?
In A&E the night of the first episode. Caught part of it, somewhere in the middle. I don't know how it started or ended that night.

Top Bottom