Cyclechat investigates...soaps

Which is the best soap?

• Coronation Street, the obvious best

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • EastEnders, lots of shouting and gangsters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmerdale, home of the cast slaughtering plane crash

• Brookside, where everyone was a drug dealer, R.I.P.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Albion Market, someone must surely have watched it?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Neighbours - what's that? The postman's wife is dead!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Home and Awaybours

• Eldorado, Accy's favourite

• Hollyoaks, lots of young people snogging

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I would rather smear my undercarriage with treacle and sit on an anthill than watch a soap

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
There is a category missing in the voting list. —- Do not watch any of them.

Your wish is my command!

lane

Veteran
Well I voted for the ants. Brookside had its moments. Probably best of the lot.

My wife sometimes watches EastEnders and I see that the old drug dealer from Brookside has been visiting the square - possibly some sort of county lines thing.

Some other old ones people may remember:

Crossroads obviously. Less obviously perhaps "Angels" set in a hospital and "Triangle" set on a cross channel ferry.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It wasn't a 'soap' originally was it? As I recall it was on Sunday night for a season or two a year - not every week, and not a few times a week. I too used to enjoy the 'oh god, it's not going to end well for the people on the coach - not with the storm, that light aircraft and the tired and stressed lorry driver' moment at the start.

Also, wasn't there a vaguely 'comic' porter, possibly of Eastern European descent, in the early series'? Or am I just remembering one funny incident as indicative of the whole character?

It was - and you're thinking of the Polish porter (Kuba) who was unceremoniously replaced by Robson Green after a couple of series.

Early Casualty never quite lived down to the standard of Angels.

KneesUp

Guru
It was - and you're thinking of the Polish porter (Kuba) who was unceremoniously replaced by Robson Green after a couple of series.

Early Casualty never quite lived down to the standard of Angels.
That's the one - was he a 'comedy' character, or have it constructed a memory of him from one event? (I didn't really watch it, but my parents did, so I was only vaguely aware of what was going on)

<rant>Soaps and their utterly ridiculous take in 'reality', are, in my opinion, largely responsible for the easily perceived drop in the intelligence of the general public. Whole swathes of the country speak like the Eastenders cast, which, trust me, is not in any way related to how people in that area used to speak. They all do now, though.
Junk for soft minds.
</rant>

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't generally watch soaps but don't mind an odd Eastenders, corrie or similar....but if there was a poll for the worst, Holby or its incarnations would be right up there. Mind numbing drivel. Gawld help us all if hospital staff behave even remotely like that in real life.
Yep where's all the waiting for 3hrs before anybody looks at you and beds in corridors not to mention the dire food. :cursing:

Julia9054

Guru
<rant>Soaps and their utterly ridiculous take in 'reality', are, in my opinion, largely responsible for the easily perceived drop in the intelligence of the general public. Whole swathes of the country speak like the Eastenders cast, which, trust me, is not in any way related to how people in that area used to speak. They all do now, though.
Junk for soft minds.
</rant>
What is your prescribed list of approved tv programmes that don't cause your intelligence to drop?

I think you missed a couple out. Oops! the list is getting bigger .

Crossroads, Compact, The Plane Makers, the Yacht making family one. Ah! Howards Way. And Peyton Place !
Whatever happened to Alison Mackenzie ?
Rhino Neal started in that soap .

lane

Veteran
I recall my gran used to watch "Brothers" which would probably qualify as a soap. About a haulage company.

To me though a bit of a difference with the likes of casualty, Howards Way and Brothers is that they have a series number and a break part way through the year whereas "proper" soaps just never stop.

There is also "Doctors" on during the day. Have watched that occasionally and it's a cut above some of the others.

Top Bottom