Cyclechat investigates...soaps

Which is the best soap?

• Coronation Street, the obvious best

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • EastEnders, lots of shouting and gangsters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmerdale, home of the cast slaughtering plane crash

• Brookside, where everyone was a drug dealer, R.I.P.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Albion Market, someone must surely have watched it?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Neighbours - what's that? The postman's wife is dead!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Home and Awaybours

• Eldorado, Accy's favourite

• Hollyoaks, lots of young people snogging

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I would rather smear my undercarriage with treacle and sit on an anthill than watch a soap

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I throw two more into the hat..

Pobol Y Cwm

Rownd A Rownd.

The former being a starting point for many aspiring Welsh actors, one Ioan Gruffudd doing an eight year stint at the start of his career.

The latter is more of a youth based soap but in 2005 was graced with Ceri Cunnington (front man of North Wales band Anweledig) who joined the soap for a year or two.

And although my knowledge of Scottish soaps is not that great was there not one called Take The High Road?

Michael Sheen was in Pobl y Cwm a couple of months back.

It's the only soap my wife watches. I don't speak Welsh so when I do watch it with her it's with sub-titles.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

We use 'Splosh' - it's just the concentrate bit, you add the water yourself, and it's all bio-degradeable eco business. You can buy a re-useable container of them or any number of 'home' stores.
I thought "splosh" was the name of a certain questionable mag from the past.
Clearly I have led a sheltered life when it comes to soap products,

<rant>Soaps and their utterly ridiculous take in 'reality', are, in my opinion, largely responsible for the easily perceived drop in the intelligence of the general public. Whole swathes of the country speak like the Eastenders cast, which, trust me, is not in any way related to how people in that area used to speak. They all do now, though.
Junk for soft minds.
</rant>
True - when back home up north and travelling on buses I am forever hearing folk, usually young women, who give every indication of thinking they have the starring role in their own over hyped over dramatised soap.

Just seen some of the other posts - to clarify - I'm not denigrating any accents (why would I?) and yes I think there is a lot of data I think to suggest that folks are getting more intelligent. But I have definitely noticed what may be termed increased levels of self dramatisation and emotional incontinence signifying not a lot.

Last edited:
Michael Sheen was in Pobl y Cwm a couple of months back.

It's the only soap my wife watches. I don't speak Welsh so when I do watch it with her it's with sub-titles.

Yes he is over here investing heavily in the Football Homeless World Cup in Cardiff. Apparently it was heavily underfunded so he has stepped in with a large amount of folding.

True - when back home up north and travelling on buses I am forever hearing folk, usually young women, who give every indication of thinking they have the starring role in their own over hyped over dramatised soap.

Just seen some of the other posts - to clarify - I'm not denigrating any accents (why would I?) and yes I think there is a lot of data I think to suggest that folks are getting more intelligent. But I have definitely noticed what may be termed increased levels of self dramatisation and emotional incontinence signifying not a lot.
Good post. And I will modify my wording. Intelligence levels...they may well be increasing, but intelligence is not equal to smarts. People's potential might well be greater but people's wastage of their potential far outstrips it.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

As the billboards in the States used to say"Next time, take the train"

Top Bottom