CycleChat Ride - 2 May - Manningtree/Colchester/Tiptree (i.e. north-east Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Aperitif said:
I assumed Gary is ultra sensitive to uV. I remember meeting someone en route in the South of France last year, in 32C heat dressed similarly - protection against skin cancer - and the 'penny dropped'.

Surprisingly sunny on Saturday!

Yep that's more than possible, I certainly had a beetroot coloured forehead with the glorious sun which helped as a reflective aid on my shortcut along the A14 home. I decided that you boys from the smoke could not have all the fun playing on the A roads and my little jaunt also included the added benefits of the local views as seen from the top of the orwell bridge

Orwell-Bridge.jpg

redjedi

Über Member
Good read Allsopp. I'm glad I decided against the ride back now.

Crock - I hope your putting that £17 towards a new pair of shorts? I think you've earned them :becool:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ahhhh, this all sounded like much fun!

Kebab shop visits and white knee highs all in one day! I am jealous!

Great right ups, insane milage, I missed a treat!

Well done one and all!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Davywalnuts said:
Ahhhh, this all sounded like much fun!

Kebab shop visits and white knee highs all in one day! I am jealous!

Great right ups, insane milage, I missed a treat!

Well done one and all!

Davy, my commiserations :rolleyes:

This thread has been an 'Eat as much as you like' feast of fun, where people have come time and again to the 'table' with anecdotes and memories of an Essex Day.
3007aea.jpg

Tower Hill basked in milky sun at 06:30 when we set off. Manningtree by 11:05 :evil:
wgroch.jpg

Riding in 'primary' - red, blue and yellow sported by bleakanddivine, MacBludgeon and dellzeqq.
f6irr.jpg

delthebike was toting plenty of wrist restraints in case the Essex locals got a bit rowdy - seasoned tourist with a 'not the last throw' of the Carradice - breaking in nicely!
v6hxs8.jpg

FatFellowFromFelixtowe spent the day plotting how to usurp the carefully planned route by Auntie Helen - only to be expected from part-time cyclists I suppose.
5fn0ur.jpg

One of the local Essex builders, a Mr Leslie Boyce, had put the building of his dream house in the hands of a trendy Francophile architect - with predictable result...nice knapped flint though.

It all started going wrong at Church Road Little Bromley.(Get the 'blame religion' bit out of the way first) stevevw was talking about wine and cheese in France and bemoaning the fact that it wasn't quite the asparagus season...I suddenly had the thought that 'he's on my right, the evening sun is dazzling me = wrong' The South West is our direction - not SS East...
Anyway, all has been explained and no, we will not be applying for the cartographer's job at Essex County Council.
Coggeshall / Coggeshall Hamlet to Kelvedon - towards Feering; right towards Inworth and down towards Tiptree. We were in a jam - and out of our confit zone...

<Football player interview mode> We have to take the positives <mode off> and a warm summery evening in nice countryside precluded a trip to the coast of the North sea at Tollesbury. (Near the Hook of Holland).
We passed through Tolleshunt Darcy to get there - and it was still there when we returned to hang a left toward Maldon. (Funnily enough on the Maldon Road) Sig bought a map for the occasion and it was employed at various times to shield us from the wind as topcat's photos illustrate. I felt more at home with the blank side than the liney, coloured bit so I played mapstands and the others perused!

np272d.jpg

topcat1, first seen in a yoga-like trance on the return from Brighton - as captured by arallsopp's time lapse photography, had refined his technique to full-on 'relaxation'! :smile: Sig was starved and the bones were showing through while Chris was looking for his worry beads...

Following the coastline and relishing the bracing breeze arriving from the Sea we did a lap of Maldon, and with the peloton on a hunger high, we swarmed towards Southend. Well, it was a start.
Bicknacre beckoned, then South Woodham Ferrers. At Wickford we said goodbye - fearing for Sig and ChrisKH - the locals.:laugh:
Usually I wear a watch, which has a built in compass. Did I wear it that day?
Our continuation led us to Great Bastards -well, that's what it felt like - South Green and Billericay.
Ravenous and willing to even stop at a MacDonalds, we managed to skirt the Town Centre (at least I had been through there a few times this year and knew the way!) and, faced with turning right or enjoying the umpteenth downhill of the day we raced downhill towards Shenfield, and the Station.
Kebabbery mon amour!
2v2igyv.jpg

What a saviour - I even drank a cup of tea with sugar - and we feasted on fats, sugars and extruded carbohydrates. The Halfords of cuisine for the errant cyclist, but it did the trick. arallsopp, being tech. savvy took the opportunity to make a 'real-time' posting on this thread which might have been read by anyone doing abitrary's shift but it serves as a 'mis en scene' for posterity!
All the girls and boys staggering around the kebabbery were nonchalant in t-shirts and backless tops etc as though it were a summer's day - we were warming our hands by the light of the neon and stuffing polystyrene packaging everywhere. Whatever we didn't eat that is. ilovebikes seemed extremely perky at this point - must be clubbing hours...:becool:
Once the 'chav alert' facility had thawed and we began to feel a bit uncomfortable, the epic restarted, mainly through a dark Brentwood High Street, stopping briefly for a walnutbreak and pudding from Tescogarage before once again diving onto the A12 - ah bliss! Homeward bound.
We tore off and hung a left at Gants Hill towards Ilford and a rejoin of the A118 - Clubland Boulevard - towards town. A recumbent rider is number one attraction for the lovely clubber - Andy even had a drunk run after him at one stage but he was too busy chatting to Dave#1 to notice. The Bow flyover and Stratford Olympic village in waiting welcomed us again...then Mile End with the perma-open shops.
And so to Whitechapel, Aldgate East and Tower Hill. Four good boy goodbyes.
The finale was a ride through London, along the Embankment at 04:00. Only marginally different traffic-wise to a normal commute: noisy car boom boxes, people everywhere - doing all sorts of things...Mrs Windsor's London pad was in darkness as I 'raced' past...The birds were revving up by the time I reached Hammersmith and were in full voice on arrival home - dawn just about breaking. Time for a few cups of tea and a read of the forum.
I went to bed as arallsopp was getting up - and I ended up in IKEA too!
Wierd day, but I met nice people and learned a few things. Mentioning to User1314 that we should "tear the arse out of it" (the ride) was a mistake, as his shorts will testify!:ohmy:
Some good lads out there and I would encourage everyone to get out and meet fellow forummers - it rocks! :rolleyes:
Yes - and we missed Davywalnuts too! (But even your stash of malt loaf would not have been enough!)

ChrisKH

Guru
If you look very carefully at that picture of me you can see my lips moving - "Hail Mary, full of grace, ......................."

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Some good memories from the dark patches there Aperitif. You have impressive recall. One day I'll work out how to mount the time lapse to the Furai, as I'm in dire need of reminders between midnight and daybreak. If we're gonna tackle another one like this, I'm gonna need a bigger battery pack.

Aperitif said:
Andy even had a drunk run after him at one stage but he was too busy chatting to Dave#1 to notice.

How do you know he wasn't chasing Dave #1, eh? :biggrin:

Sig SilverPrinter

Thanks Helen for a great day.
thanks to ilovebikes for use of the bone top, my daughter thinks its cool[you need to give me your address to send it back]
big thanks go to ChrisKH for getting me home,not sure how I made it,lack of food and sleep really took it out of me,by the time we got to Chris's house I had the shakes,Chris's lovely wife made me sit down gave me something to eat and drink,and after another call to the husband[ gone midnight ]to again say i would be home soon ,Chris drove me home.

redjedi

Über Member
:ohmy:

Sig is alive, and another member of the CC Centurion Club

I take it you managed to do your first 100 miler. It would be hard not to judging by the scenic route you took home.

And thank you for the delicious cake.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sig SilverPrinter said:
i did about 119 miles...

Not content to nail the virgin hundred, sig takes on a 200km brevet:biggrin:
Seriously impressive performance. Well done.

Oddly, the same thing happened to Aperitif, Topcat and myself when we tackled ilovebikes' first hundred (Topcat's too?).

I think the Mouseketeers logged 130+ miles that day, and we started at midnight. I am beginning to spot a theme here.:smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
Damn, if I had realised through my sleep deprived fog that we were 10 miles away from doing 200 km I would have diverted Sig to Basildon first. And the nearest Kebab shop obviously. She would never have known. :smile:

So, next target 200km. :eek:

Top Bottom