CycleChatters' Cafe Recommendation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
http://www.cafenetwork.info/

I use this a lot.

hasn't been updated for a while, so I tend to google the cafe to see if it still exists.

If you want cheap coffee you can't beat mcdonalds for quality v price.

Really? I’ve always found MaccyD’s coffee to be dire.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Really? I’ve always found MaccyD’s coffee to be dire.
I very rarely go to McDonalds, but I have a distinct memory of stopping at one for a pee and coffee stop on a ride a few years ago. I remember sitting outside and commenting how foul the coffee was, and not finishing it.

Only one data point, so not really worth much.

Chislenko

Veteran
Think I have paid my last visit to Nets today.

Push button machine coffee now back up to £2.20 and not great coffee.

But looking at the board outside, a Cheese and Onion sandwich...£4.35!!! A Bacon Toastie... £4.60!!!!

That is motorway service station pricing.

Yes, nice sorroundings but I won't pay those prices.

But looking at the board outside, a Cheese and Onion sandwich...£4.35!!! A Bacon Toastie... £4.60!!!!

Blimey. Lack of competition maybe ?

Tbh I rarely go there as it's too close to home.

I'll pay about a fiver for coffee and cake in most places though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm fairly sure I recommended Daisyclough Nursery and Garden Centre at Scorton. We were there yesterday. Beans on toast was £4 which these days is fair - though it took 30 minutes to heat them to lukewarm. Cake was £2.50-3.95 which is lowish to very expensive BUT the portions were half what I would expect. A full English was £12!!!! :eek:

I'll go back again if my buddies want to but it won't be my choice. If in the area head for The Lunchbox at Nateby. All the Scorton cafes are now very overpriced.

I'm happy to understand and support an industry which has suffered badly the last 18 months. There comes a point though when prices start to discourage customers and in some places I've reached it. I won't be stopping in Scorton again.

I go very rarely now (too close) but...
Coffee is better than it was, it used to be really, really dire!!
That's cafe prices everywhere these days (making up for lockdown?)
Nah another quid in a motorway service station at least.
Surrounding OK but midges and wasps combined made it hell a few summers ago - bit like The Harp (minus the beer obv.)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I visited a good one recently. Oakwood Marina, near Davenham, Northwich. Opened in 2018. Great food and surroundings (I was stuffed after the cheesy scrambled eggs). Thinking about it, I've been to a number of cafes at marinas and they have all been good (e.g. Venetian marina, Audlem marina).

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
And "Farm Made Tea Room" in Bollington is worth a visit. It's half way up a big hill (Blaze Hill) so come the other way and it's half way down.

united4ever

Über Member
Following some advice on fitting cycling into working from home I am after a cafe where I could sit with laptop for a 2 to 3 hours in North Cheshire area. Plan is to work at home all morning, then at lunchtime take an hour or 90 minute ride out to a cafe where I can work until 4 o'clock ish and then a nice ride back. I am in the trafford/south Manchester area. Anyone know a good destination where I could sit inside in cycling clothes and work? Anything with a low traffic route or off road paved cycle route to and from South Manchester/Trafford would be ideal. Having a destination will help me to actually do it I feel.

I visited a good one recently. Oakwood Marina, near Davenham, Northwich. Opened in 2018. Great food and surroundings (I was stuffed after the cheesy scrambled eggs). Thinking about it, I've been to a number of cafes at marinas and they have all been good (e.g. Venetian marina, Audlem marina).
Ooh. Ta. Will add that one to the list !

If you do want to recommend it to others you can email Wiggle
socialmedia@wiggle.com
And they can add it to their cycling cafe map.

https://blog.wiggle.co.uk/best-cycling-coffee-stops-map-tried-tested

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran

I was going to make it a destination cafe this week but £4.25 for a bacon bap, I can afford it, I just won't pay these over the top prices.

I can get the same with a coffee for less at Route 56 in Frodsham or Tarvin Sands.

Some people are taking the Michael now.

Top Bottom