'Cyclecraft' - The Book or Experience?

Cyclecraft - Is there a point?

• Yes - Have bought\read the book and swear by it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - Have bought\read the book but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know

• No - Rely on my own judgement and I'm doing fine without it

• Both - The book and experience are complementary

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TWBNK

I have the book and only found a couple of valuable points where I could change my riding style. It does seem to be common sense in a book.

Shaun

Founder
I think the audience that will take more from it is beginners. It points out some obvious things to those of us who have been cycling for years, but then those things are not always so obvious to beginners.

You've also got to consider that not everyone who cycles, drives (as a driver you get to experience poor cycling technique from a fly-on-the-wall perspective).

I bought and read it, and whilst I had experienced a lot of the situations and found my own ways around them concurred with the book's advice, there were a few tips that I took from the book that worked well in practise.

I'm not sure what the cover price was when I bought my copy, but I didn't feel I'd wasted my money.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
blazed said:
Only douchebags read these books.

mail

Arch

Married to Night Train
TWBNK said:
I have the book and only found a couple of valuable points where I could change my riding style. It does seem to be common sense in a book.

That's the thing - you have common sense. 'Common' sense is quite rare these days....

And some stuff - like primary position - is a bit counter-intuitive to many beginners, who think to be safe you should ride as far into the gutter as you can so as to be out of the way. Once it's explained, it makes sense, but you need someone to explain it....

I have not read the book but I've taken on board things people have said on here about riding style recommended by cyclecraft. My riding style is still my own though, developed from my own experience and some things won't change even if they're viewed as not ideal, they work for me.

I do want my kids to go on a recognised course though because I think cycle training has improved dramatically.

redjedi

Über Member
Both for me.

When I read it I was new to cycling and didn't (still don't) drive. It helped me learn how to approach certain junctions and roundabouts etc.

I now don't feel I need to go back to it though as I think I've learnt more through experience, and in London you do need to learn.

I do see riders who I think could do with reading it as their road skills are awful.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Molecule Man said:
I have never read (or even seen) Cyclecraft, but I have heard a lot about what it recommends on internet forums and elsewhere.
It seems to coincide quite closely with what I have learned through experience alone over the last 20 years.
Maybe if I had read it when I started cycling, I might have avoided some scary moments when I started off cycling regularly in towns and cities.

Having well over 30 years experience of riding on the road and having recently been given a copy of Cyclecraft (and read it), I was surprised by how useful it is. The section on "Observation and anticipation" (pages 78-84) should be compulsory reading not just for cyclist but learner drivers as well.

As a former full qualified driving instructor (DOT ADI) and an advanced driver, I feel the observation quiz on page 83 should be part of the driving test. Sadly this level of observation is only really taught on advanced driving courses.

Anyone who think they already know it all, can't learn anything more is fooling only themselves. Especially if they are young and inexperienced. You only have to look at the mortality rates of cyclist and drivers in their teens and early twenties see just how much they are fooling themselves. However not all of them put themselves up for Darwin Awards, some are luck enough to survive, then try to teach the next generation not to make that same mistakes...

asterix

Comrade Member
HJ said:
Anyone who think they already know it all, can't learn anything more is fooling only themselves. Especially if they are young and inexperienced. You only have to look at the mortality rates of cyclist and drivers in their teens and early twenties see just how much they are fooling themselves. However not all of them put themselves up for Darwin Awards, some are luck enough to survive, then try to teach the next generation not to make that same mistakes...

Way back there was a quiz based on the advice in Cyclecraft. When I started it I expected to sail through.. Wrong! Showed I could still learn a lot:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben Lovejoy said:
Agreed 100%.

And me.

I always think, the drivers you need to really watch out for are the ones who reckon they are really good drivers, because they have probably decided they don't need to learn any more....

Blue

Legendary Member
Arch said:
And me.

I always think, the drivers you need to really watch out for are the ones who reckon they are really good drivers, because they have probably decided they don't need to learn any more....

All drivers need to be watched carefully - they all think they are good drivers!!

I voted 'Both' in the poll.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blue said:
All drivers need to be watched carefully - they all think they are good drivers!!

True. I was thinking of the sort that like to say so, out loud....

(I am a driver too BTW, although I don't own a car just now. But I'm well aware of my limitations etc...)

Anyone see Motorway cops last night? That chap who had 4 unsecured kids in the back of his car, and when the police told him to move off the shoulder where they'd stopped him and go to the services so that they could talk more safely, and they told him exactly how to do this safely (build up speed, move out when safe), and then he pulled straight out in front of an HGV which nearly jackknifed avoiding him.... I bet he thinks he's a brilliant driver.

Blue

Legendary Member
My opinion of drivers is based on approx 10 years of personal involvement in the investigation of RTAs and the handling of much litigation resulting from said accidents. I can only recall one instance in all those years when a motorist held his hands up and admitted blame (he amitted leering at a pretty girl and taking his eyes off the road). Indeed, it never ceased to amaze me that it was so difficult to persuade some people that they were at fault, even when the evidence was convincing.

I treat all drivers as idiots and, whether they are or not, my attitude ensures that I put myself in as safe a position as possible when on the roads.

Top Bottom