'Cyclecraft' - The Book or Experience?

Cyclecraft - Is there a point?

• Yes - Have bought\read the book and swear by it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - Have bought\read the book but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know

• No - Rely on my own judgement and I'm doing fine without it

• Both - The book and experience are complementary

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There was a lorry driver on this programme last night who did admit fault, and seemed very genuine about it (instead of just trying to smarm the police man) - the sad thing is that that's such a rarity. He was foreign (Dutch maybe, by the accent) and had pulled out into a car sitting in his blindspot. No one hurt thankfully.

I assume people are going to pull out in front of me, or cut in, or not stop regardless of what the lights suggest... My dad taught me at an very early age that a red light doesn't physically stop cars, and then at about age 7 or 8 I saw a girl knocked down outside school, and to this day, I more often than not wait for the green man when I'm crossing a road, and I keep looking both ways as I cross.

But then today, I overtook another cyclist (on my bike) and realised as I was doing it that I probably shouldn't be doing it, as we were still on the zigzags of a crossing. Mea culpa. I wonder how many people even remember what those mean?

Blue said:
All drivers need to be watched carefully - they all think they are good drivers!!

I voted 'Both' in the poll.

Best advice I was given......

Watch the wheels not the indicators as the angle will tell you more about which direction the vehicle will move.

Davidc

Guru
Origamist said:
Both - the two are not mutually exclusive.

+1

HJ said:
Anyone who think they already know it all, can't learn anything more is fooling only themselves.

+1

Blue said:
All drivers need to be watched carefully - they all think they are good drivers!!

No - I know perfectly well I'm an average driver at best, and quite happy to say so. Don't enjoy driving much either.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Arch said:
But then today, I overtook another cyclist (on my bike) and realised as I was doing it that I probably shouldn't be doing it, as we were still on the zigzags of a crossing. Mea culpa.
You not culpa. :-)

The law says you may not overtake a moving motor vehicle (nor the vehicle closest to the crossing when it has stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross). You're fine overtaking a moving bicycle.

Ben

Top Bottom