Cycling Advice From A Gutter Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

Well, I ride in a broadly similar manner to the OP when faced with a pot hole. I'll shoulder check, sometimes indicate with my right arm, move to the right, and then back to the left when the hazard has passed. I haven't seen many cyclists dismount when tackling pot holes, unless they sinkholes that is....
The description of your riding sounds entirely sensible to me. The OP's style does not however, so I guess we'll have to disagree on the comparison. The notion of dismounting for a pothole originated with you and I picked up on it to illustrate a point. I've no idea what sort of pothole would induce someone to ride like the cyclist in the clip - a pretty scary one, I should imagine!

Very few people set out to aggravate others on the roads, IME, but I'm rarely prepared to compromise my safety for the convenience of others. If that irks the odd, irrational road user, so be it.
Staying safe as a cyclist more often involves reducing the aggravation caused to other road users, rather than increasing it. I do anything I can (short of putting myself in physical danger) to reduce the inconvenience to other road users caused by my presence on the road. As a result, I very rarely have the sort of altercations often reported by other cyclists on forums like this one. This lack of conflict is important enough for me to be willing to add a minute or so to my journey in order to achieve it. It's second nature to me now, and hence something that I don't even have to think about.

I shouldn't give the impression I skulk around getting on and off my bike every five minutes. It's more of a subconscious mindset which minimises the potential for conflict and maximises safety.

Last edited:

Leodis

Veteran
Quite a scary ride across that bridge, I don't think cycling in the middle of the road not lane was the right idea. Maybe a stronger position was needed to compensate for any wind is all was needed. Just glad I don't commute in London

Origamist

Legendary Member
The description of your riding sounds entirely sensible to me. The OP's style does not however, so I guess we'll have to disagree on the comparison. The notion of dismounting for a pothole originated with you and I picked up on it to illustrate a point. I've no idea what sort of pothole would induce someone to ride like the cyclist in the clip - a pretty scary one, I should imagine!

I'm not sure whether you disagree with the principle of widing ride in the face of strong sidewinds or you just don't find the OP's example justified. If the former, then we fundamentally disagree - if the later, I have a little more sympathy with your position. However, as I was not on the bridge at the time and the video does not allow you to judge the wind speed, I'm not really in a position to chide the OP.

The examples of dealing with a pot-hole, or a tricky right turn, or a pinch point etc were examples of where a cyclist could conceivably dismount when they felt "uncomfortable" - if we followed the line of your earlier reasoning. I suspect most people, including you, would think dismounting in these circumstances would be unnecessary, just as most people would not walk their bike over a bridge when they could ride and give themselves more lateral space on the road.

Staying safe as a cyclist more often involves reducing the aggravation caused to other road users, rather than increasing it. I do anything I can (short of putting myself in physical danger) to reduce the inconvenience to other road users caused by my presence on the road.

I should think most people would agree with that. The issue is that many cyclists will adopt different tactics to cope with road danger and, to a lesser or greater extent, this might inconvenience other road users.

For example, if you're riding along a narrow suburban lane you could ride in the gutter, a metre from the road edge or take the centre of the lane. These different positions would "inconvenience" other road users in different ways, but cyclists could justify each position according to their take on how they want to reduce the risk to themselves.

As a result, I very rarely have the sort of altercations often reported by other cyclists on forums like this one. This lack of conflict is important enough for me to be willing to add a minute or so to my journey in order to achieve it. It's second nature to me now, and hence something that I don't even have to think about.

I shouldn't give the impression I skulk around getting on and off my bike every five minutes. It's more of a subconscious mindset which minimises the potential for conflict and maximises safety.

If you can reduce conflict and ride in such a way that you feel subjectively safe, that's great, but I very rarely have altercations with drivers who feel they have been inconvenienced by me (and I don't pander to irrational or ignorant road users).

IME, a far greater threat are road users who are distracted, careless or who just don't give a crap about my safety.

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you can ride one handed, whilst looking backward and waving your free hand; it's not that windy.

Wind speed isn't constant though. Gusts can be considerably more powerful and if the OP felt strong gusts atop Waterloo Bridge, I don't see a problem with him pre-emptively taking a more prominent position and signalling to the driver to (presumably) slow down and pass wide.

Would I have behaved exactly as the OP did in the video, probably not, but just because people handle challenging situations differently to you or I, does not mean that their roadcraft craft is necessarily suspect.

I'm sure if the OP had not looked backwards, he would be criticised for a lack of rearward observation by the skillful CC commuter brigade.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Then I assume the OP is able to predict with confidence when the next gust is coming, which allowed him to look back and gesticulate for a few seconds.

Unlikely, unless the cam had some kind of wind vane or Beaufort scale built-in, but if there was a lull in the wind the riding would not be as incongruous as it appears.

That said, I'd agree, taking a hand from the bars is not something I'd normally do when it's very windy, unless it was absolutely necessary.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Why do people have such strong reactions to other cyclists using mirrors and horns? Sometimes, I think the reason cycling will probably never be very popular in most Western countries is because cyclists in these countries are more intolerant towards each other than motorists are to cyclists.

I agree with what some of the others said, though: if the OP could look backwards and ride one-handed, then it can't have been all that windy, so he should have used the bike lane if it was fit to use.

Moderators

Legendary Member
A couple of off topic posts have been removed, together with later posts that quoted them. Please stick to the topic.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Well, I ride in a broadly similar manner to the OP when faced with a pot hole. I'll shoulder check, sometimes indicate with my right arm, move to the right, and then back to the left when the hazard has passed.

I did that the other day when a big white van was trying to overtake me on a narrow road with cars turning right accross me in front from a supermarket car park (they couldn't be bothered to wait) he went absolutely NUTS about it - followed me for two roads to pull up next to me and rant and rave at me that I shouldn't put my arm out unless I am turning right - I was so shocked I just stood there and said "why on earth are you having a go at me" but he just wouldn't let it go. I will keep my arm to myself in future I reckon and just let him run me over! :sad:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I did that the other day when a big white van was trying to overtake me on a narrow road with cars turning right accross me in front from a supermarket car park (they couldn't be bothered to wait) he went absolutely NUTS about it - followed me for two roads to pull up next to me and rant and rave at me that I shouldn't put my arm out unless I am turning right - I was so shocked I just stood there and said "why on earth are you having a go at me" but he just wouldn't let it go. I will keep my arm to myself in future I reckon and just let him run me over! :sad:

Sorry to hear that. The guy sounds like a prize muppet.

If you need to change direction and another road user will benefit from a signal, I usually indicate. In some situations, i.e. near junctions, you should be mindful that this might bamboozle impatient types trying to inappropriately overtake.

Personally, I think it's important to signal your intent to other road users, particularly when it comes to requiring more lane width when confronted with a hazard such as a pothole. Obviously, I'm not talking about a few inches of deviation, but a few feet.

In addition, sticking your arm in the air is more likely to catch someone's eye and it makes you that little bit wider.

Top Bottom