Cycling Advice From A Gutter Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If there are strong crosswinds, riding slowly makes you less stable, not more. In addition, you need considerably more buffer space if you get pushed sideways and you need to get lower on the bike so that you are less of a sail. In particularly windy conditions you will need to countersteer and lean. Grip the bars firmly, but not a death grip.

I'd be of the opposite view - having a narrow cycle lane within a bus lane makes conditions worse for cyclists, not better.

In principle, cyclists should not risk their safety - "even" if this means delaying another road user by a few seconds....

My instincts tell me to slow down and be closer to the side. Certainly keen to avoid getting sprawled on a major lane. A cycle lane reduces kerb hugging by buses and most vehicles except for black cabs.

PK99

Legendary Member
Agreed, live and let live. The guy telling him off is a douche, his whole attitude stinks. I can't stand these people who all shout at other people telling them what they should and should not be doing, just get on with your day.
Op, well done for your calmness

if the OP had a right to claim the lane, then the complainer had a right to point out that he felt he had been made less safe by the op's behaviour

Origamist

Legendary Member
My instincts tell me to slow down and be closer to the side. Certainly keen to avoid getting sprawled on a major lane. A cycle lane reduces kerb hugging by buses and most vehicles except for black cabs.

Generally speaking, the slower you go, the worse a bike handles. You don't want to make things less stable than you have to in strong crosswinds.

The closer you are to the side of the road the less space you have to manoeuvre or be pushed sideways, meaning drivers will be more inclined to give you less clearance - which is the last thing you want when it's blowing a gale.

If the cycle lane was a minimum of 2m wide, I'd be more supportive of your bus/cycle lane views. Sadly, it's not.

Generally speaking, the slower you go, the worse a bike handles. You don't want to make things less stable than you have to in strong crosswinds.

The closer you are to the side of the road the less space you have to manoeuvre or be pushed sideways, meaning drivers will be more inclined to give you less clearance - which is the last thing you want when it's blowing a gale.

If the cycle lane was a minimum of 2m wide, I'd be more supportive of your bus/cycle lane views. Sadly, it's not.

You become wobbly, when it is really slow and we talking less than 5 mph. You should be alright above that. In gale there is no way am I going to be on any lane.

See you point about lane width, do agree.

Luke Redpath

I'm surprised at how many people here are so against a cyclist taking a strong position if they feel it necessary to their safety. The poster above seems to be encouraging hugging the gutter - that IS poor cycling.

Cycling "just outside the cycle lane" or right in the middle of the lane - whats the difference? The bus should still be moving into the second lane to overtake in either case and the first position is more likely to result in a close pass.

I don't set out to hold up traffic and I always try to be considerate and move over when it's safe to do so and give cars an opportunity to pass. But if the road is narrow, or the cycle lane is rubbish, or there's parked cars or basically any other reason where I feel a strong primary position is safest then frankly I couldn't give two hoots about holding somebody up for a few seconds or however long it takes, ESPECIALLY riding in central London where it's far more likely that I'm only preventing the, from getting to the next red light/traffic jam sooner and will likely catch them up again anyway.

I'm surprised at how many people here are so against a cyclist taking a strong position if they feel it necessary to their safety. The poster above seems to be encouraging hugging the gutter - that IS poor cycling.

Cycling "just outside the cycle lane" or right in the middle of the lane - whats the difference? The bus should still be moving into the second lane to overtake in either case and the first position is more likely to result in a close pass.

I don't set out to hold up traffic and I always try to be considerate and move over when it's safe to do so and give cars an opportunity to pass. But if the road is narrow, or the cycle lane is rubbish, or there's parked cars or basically any other reason where I feel a strong primary position is safest then frankly I couldn't give two hoots about holding somebody up for a few seconds or however long it takes, ESPECIALLY riding in central London where it's far more likely that I'm only preventing the, from getting to the next red light/traffic jam sooner and will likely catch them up again anyway.

I did not suggest hugging the gutter. Thats pretty dishonest while talking about "try to be considerate". How about being honest and considerate. Really poor.

Re the mirror thingy. Why wear a helmet to 'make you safer' then attach a stick to it that looks as if it would cause really damage if you hit the ground? It could have your eye out :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That cycle lane doesn't look very wide. I'd certainly be uneasy about riding in it while 13-ton double deckers fly past me with nowhere to escape, wind or none.

That's the problem with these little roadside cycle lanes... in the absence of a council funded white line, my normal riding position would be very close to it; about a meter or so out from the kerb. When the white line is provided, i feel like I'm being pressured into riding much closer to the kerb than i would normally.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That's the problem with these little roadside cycle lanes... in the absence of a council funded white line, my normal riding position would be very close to it; about a meter or so out from the kerb. When the white line is provided, i feel like I'm being pressured into riding much closer to the kerb than i would normally.

Check out this lovely example: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSLixsgfdaTPMBRZtItxfnw!2e0

I correctly cycle in the centre of this lane, and frequently get aggressive horn blasting from ignorant drivers who think I should ride in that cycle lane. Before the lane was painted, I still got some grief, but definitely less. I can well imagine that a less confident cyclist would feel obliged to use this dangerous crap.

I emailed the council, pointing out they were in breach of the DfT guidelines, and they replied that as they were only guidelines they didn't have to follow them. They pointed out that there had been no reports of accidents on that stretch, but it's only a matter of time.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That bike lane is pretty much where you shouldn't ride if you want to keep safe. I wouldn't ride in it either. Council stupidity (again).

Simontm

Veteran
Check out this lovely example: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSLixsgfdaTPMBRZtItxfnw!2e0

I correctly cycle in the centre of this lane, and frequently get aggressive horn blasting from ignorant drivers who think I should ride in that cycle lane. Before the lane was painted, I still got some grief, but definitely less. I can well imagine that a less confident cyclist would feel obliged to use this dangerous crap.

I emailed the council, pointing out they were in breach of the DfT guidelines, and they replied that as they were only guidelines they didn't have to follow them. They pointed out that there had been no reports of accidents on that stretch, but it's only a matter of time.

That's not a nice part to walk down let alone ride! Then again, I think the only bit of decent 'cycle' areas there are the bus lane from Morden to South Wimbledon and Morden Hall park (if you can get there before the dog walkers etc...).

Top Bottom