Cycling Advice From A Gutter Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not exactly all the way into the other lane, is it?

If some of the buses got that close to the cycle lane in windy conditions, then I'd want to create a bit more space for my own safety.
Not sure what you're saying here, but the lane he is in is not a cycle lane, it is wide enough for a bus - indeed there's one in the lane ahead. There's nothing wrong with that overtake

boydj

Legendary Member
Not sure what you're saying here, but the lane he is in is not a cycle lane, it is wide enough for a bus - indeed there's one in the lane ahead. There's nothing wrong with that overtake
It's not a bad overtake, but not great either, and there's no reason why the bus could not have been all the way into the other lane given the OP is holding the centre of lane 1.

On the original video, I would not have been so extravagant in taking the lane, but I can understand why the OP would have ridden outside the cycle lane in windy conditions. A bus in lane 1 with a car overtaking in lane 2 would have made things pretty tight for anyone in the cycle lane.

400bhp

Guru
Nope, don't agree.

If you can wave around like you're about to take off it's not too windy and you should slow down and take the cycle lane.

Slowing down will make sod all difference if hit by a gust of side wind. But, I do agree, if you can look round then it isn't too windy.

I was hanging on for dear life in parts of my commute tonight. Not joking here as well, I shat myself at one point.

mythste

Veteran
Slowing down will make sod all difference if hit by a gust of side wind. But, I do agree, if you can look round then it isn't too windy.

I was hanging on for dear life in parts of my commute tonight. Not joking here as well, I shat myself at one point.

Disagree again (respectfully, of course!) Reaction time means you could turn into or away from the gust and stop with much less veering than if at higher speed - I'd have thought! Happy to concede that my experience is somewhat limited in riding in such conditions on a busy highway though.

400bhp

Guru
Disagree again (respectfully, of course!) Reaction time means you could turn into or away from the gust and stop with much less veering than if at higher speed - I'd have thought! Happy to concede that my experience is somewhat limited in riding in such conditions on a busy highway though.

Reaction time makes no difference. I actually feel safer going faster with side gusts and down on the drops.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I was hanging on climbing over the M60 this morning, there was no way 'windy' would allow a hand off the bars - hanging on for dear life as I was also out of the saddle in hissing rain.

Mummy3monkeys

Ride where you feel safe, however I would concentrate on what is going on in front of you, not behind you, take care on your bike, stop waving your arms around and keep turning round. I had a ride home from hell last week, my knuckles were white from holding on for dear life, and I was concentrating on getting home in one piece, not worrying about the drivers.

Top Bottom