Cycling Advice From A Gutter Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Reaction time makes no difference. I actually feel safer going faster with side gusts and down on the drops.

I didn't feel the issues this morning, 23mm tyres and 30mm profile rims as well, just got on with it. Only felt the wind WALKING from where I had parked the bike to the office ! Everyone was like 'you haven't ridden in this?' Said I hadn't noticed it was bad until I walked in.

EthelF

Rain God
Nothing wrong with OP's positioning, I'd say, the bike lane there is too narrow (would you be happy with an HGV passing as close as the bus lane is, without the white line? If not, then the white-line-and-bus separation is also insufficient), plus it was a bit blowy this morning, from the left in this location.
That said, I'm not really sure what all that flapping was about, and I would have had no problem with the first bus's overtake, and the second ("MGIF") one was nothing to write home about by TFL bus standards.
All in all a bit of a non-event really.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I personally wouldn't take the lane like you did but appreciate you are within your right to do so. In my opinion there was no need to do so.
I often find watching all these videos of cyclists being outraged by close passes are often then happy to filter through moving traffic with inches either side. MGIF applies to them as well it seems.
Watching some on YouTube today and man there are some angry guys, I find cycling very therapeutic and couldn't imagine getting so wound up everyday!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Agreed, live and let live. The guy telling him off is a douche, his whole attitude stinks. I can't stand these people who all shout at other people telling them what they should and should not be doing, just get on with your day.
Op, well done for your calmness

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That very narrow cycle lane right next to the bus lane is weird and dangerous imo.
Here in Glasgow we would share the bus lane, haven't seen one like in the video yet.
If it was very windy as stated, I would have stayed further right, a gush of wind combined with a close pass by a bus does not leave much room for escape - of course the bus does not see it as a close pass, he stays in his lane after all.
The hand waving seems a bit over the top, though, does the bus driver even know what it means? He did leave enough room imo.
How did the complaining cyclist see himself in danger, if he was in the cycle lane and the bus was pulling out from the bus lane next to the cycle lane?

There was no need to disrupt the traffic flow and cause inconvenience to other road users in such a manner. If it was windy, just slow down or ride slightly outside the lane as some were doing in the video. Having a cycle lane is better than having no cycle lane. Someone had to tell this chap off and someone did. He loaded it in this forum and he should have no doubt that the majority think. I suppose if the other cyclist did not confront him, he would still be doing what he did without a second thought.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you get hit by a sudden gust of strong side wind, there really is no chance to react to it. You go where it takes you. BTW, I don't know what the wind was like in that clip, as I said earlier.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
There was no need to disrupt the traffic flow and cause inconvenience to other road users in such a manner. If it was windy, just slow down or ride slightly outside the lane as some were doing in the video. Having a cycle lane is better than having no cycle lane. Someone had to tell this chap off and someone did. He loaded it in this forum and he should have no doubt that the majority think. I suppose if the other cyclist did not confront him, he would still be doing what he did without a second thought.
I really don't understand why, and why should some bloke be allowed to act in such a rude manner? Shouting and swearing at another person for such a trivial issue is unacceptable.

Origamist

Legendary Member

If there are strong crosswinds, riding slowly makes you less stable, not more. In addition, you need considerably more buffer space if you get pushed sideways and you need to get lower on the bike so that you are less of a sail. In particularly windy conditions you will need to countersteer and lean. Grip the bars firmly, but not a death grip.

I'd be of the opposite view - having a narrow cycle lane within a bus lane makes conditions worse for cyclists, not better.

In principle, cyclists should not risk their safety - "even" if this means delaying another road user by a few seconds....

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ignoring the flapping arms, if you feel the need to take the lane to try to ensure other road users give you a wide berth or stay back that's that, it's better than 400bhps method xx(
Not joking here as well, I shat myself at one point.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
image.jpg

I really don't understand why, and why should some bloke be allowed to act in such a rude manner? Shouting and swearing at another person for such a trivial issue is unacceptable.

Possibly because of the traffic noise. The intent was right. Anyway what the cyclist did was more serious.

Top Bottom