Cycling alone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started out riding alone but have recently started riding with a club after several months. I find it more motivating having a group to keep up with and also it frees me from finding a route as I don't know the local roads and villages all that well.

I went out today on my own for the first time since riding with the club and what a difference it makes. Having just got an aldi computer I can now pace myself when alone now I know what sort of speed the group does.

alci4

do some family rides with the wife but most alone or with my 2 year old on the back

thinking time or just ipod along the canal either way it's a relaxing switch off time for me

on the road

Über Member
on the road said:
I agree. Sometimes I go out with the club, but most of the time I just go out on my own.

I don't have to get up extra early to meet the club.
I don't have to belt it to the club meet because I overslept.
I can go at what pace I like.
I can go out at whatever time I like.
I can choose my own route.
Also, I don't have to have a cafe stop when I'm out on my own. In fact I never have a cafe stop when cycling solo, I see it as a waste of precious cycling time.

yello

on the road said:
In fact I never have a cafe stop when cycling solo

As a rule, neither do I but there are exceptions. I also prefer to ride alone, for the same reasons 'on the road' gave above. I do ride with a club regularly but I don't consider it my ride, if that makes sense. Club rides are about improving my French and not cycling. I go out on my own to enjoy cycling.

jamesxyz

Mostly cycle alone and enjoy it - I tend to push quite hard and don't stop at cafes!. Having said that, I also enjoy with others - my one main (cycling) mate isn't quite as fit so it's a different pace but still very enjoyable and we will often stop.

tordis

I quite enjoy riding with other people, but I'm not a chatter while riding - I focus more on the actual cycling and talk to people I ride with when we take a break. I don't mind riding (or exercising, for that matter) alone.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
marzjennings said:
Due to crazy work and family schedules I've almost always cycled alone. To the extent I now find group rides a pain in the bum.

And i have never cycled with a group unless the local clubs will hand out free membership, petrol money so i can afford to go to work in the car to give legs a rest and come do my housework/gardening ,amuse kids etc ........

Pretty much all of my cycling is alone .. My mates that do have bikes would consider 3 miles a big ride

Simon

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Commutes and utility rides by myself, and mostly prefer it that way, as I can focus better on the traffic around me and go at my own speed.

Tours and day/leisure rides mostly with other half, friends and/or CC Ecosse, but have also gone by myself. I find having somebody to share a nice day out with much more fun ;).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I normally cycle alone, then i can just jump on the bike whenever i want and go, don't have to wait for or rely on mates. Don't mind social rides, love going out with the family just like riding on my own.

cyclenic

I cycle on my own, and don't usually mind it, but would like some company every now and again, to get me motivated and give me someone to pace against.
nic
in Devon

colinr

I much prefer cycling with others and have friends who are happy with similar distance/paces so have never resorted to a club. But I still enjoy going out on my own.

Calum

I like both, but probably prefer group riding overall. The main problem with it however, is that it can be a bit stop/start at times. The social side of it makes up for it though.

Top Bottom