Cycling along LA beach.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
Recently back from holiday staying at a mate's near Santa Monica/Venice Beach way, with a brief stint in Vegas too.

Anyway, the beachfront in LA is brilliant- everyone's out on their beach cruisers mixing it up with the rollerbladers and peds. Such an air of relaxation about it, so different from London. I'd describe the speed as normal life divided by 2. Cyclists cruise along at speeds barely pushing 8mph. Borrowed my pal's wife's commuter for a run along the beach (went around 20miles)- reckon there are a few Strava segments there for the taking; although, on a road bike you might fall foul of sand pockets on the cycle path haha.

Still, why go fast when it's 28degrees and there are lots of beautiful Californian girls to check out ;-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The LA beaches are one of the worlds greatest pleasures.
And because of it Los Angeles is one of the best cities in the world.

endoman

Some similar paths in San Diego, IIRC they have a max speed limit for bikes, great for gentle cruising etc.
Santa Monica to Venice has some interesting sights, last time there we watched a bloke dancing with a model tea pot on his head.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Haha, Venice Beach is definitely full of amusing characters- there's also a chap who rollerblades along whilst wired up to an electric guitar and portable amp. Such a chilled atmosphere- if I didn't have the lend of a bike I definitely would've hired a cruiser! Great to slow down for a week or so...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Recently back from holiday staying at a mate's near Santa Monica/Venice Beach way, with a brief stint in Vegas too.

Anyway, the beachfront in LA is brilliant- everyone's out on their beach cruisers mixing it up with the rollerbladers and peds. Such an air of relaxation about it, so different from London. I'd describe the speed as normal life divided by 2. Cyclists cruise along at speeds barely pushing 8mph. Borrowed my pal's wife's commuter for a run along the beach (went around 20miles)- reckon there are a few Strava segments there for the taking; although, on a road bike you might fall foul of sand pockets on the cycle path haha.

Still, why go fast when it's 28degrees and there are lots of beautiful Californian girls to check out ;-)
Never done LA, although I did once get sunburn watching kite surfers on Miami's south beach...in December!

I once worked in a bike shop a couple of blocks from Santa Monica beach. And whilst there I sold a bike to Arnie's stunt double! One of these rebranded Sintesi:

Iron_Horse_FS_Works_1993800h.jpg

The owner, a former Israeli Secret Service goon, kept a loaded gun under the counter. Happy days.

Top Bottom