cycling and back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I think it would depend on what's causing the pain in the first place. It may help or it could make it worse.

Certaintly, cycling itself shouldn't cause back pain if the bike is fitted correctly, and it will strengthen core muscles that support your back.

It would be worth consulting a doctor and/or a physio first.

Big Nick

It gives me back pain so NO from me!!

Mine, I'm sure, is just a case of getting more bike fit and building more core strength and training the muscles used in cycling after 20 years of non-cycling activity!!

SS Retro

I woke up with upper back pain about four days ago went for a 30 mile spin yesterday on my comfortable steel bike its fairly stretched out and today no back pain! Might have absolutely nothing to do with the bike mind? Will check in on sat after a longer 60miles on slightly less comfortable fast bike.

MattMM

I took,up,cycling late last year as physio recommended rehab from a serious back injury - muscle, spinal ligament damage and trapped sciatic nerve. I started out on a hybrid owing to posture concerns with a road bike. Along with continued physio exercises on my back plus swimming, cycling has been 100% beneficial to my injury and I'm now completely cured. And eying a road bike.....:smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
YES. I had back pain all my young adult life until I took up cycling in 1988. After that my back pain disappeared. I attribute that to the better muscle tone that cycling gives you in the lower back supporting the spine better - if you think about it the only link between the legs, hips then pelvis and the shoulders and arms are those muscles each side of the spine, which have to grow strong to resist the muscle action of the legs.

However long bike rides do give me lower back pain and I don't think a change of bike would help that; it's just a question of acclimatising the body to sit in that posture for an hour or two or longer.

If you get up stiff with back pain in the mornings, you need a new, firmer mattress. Heed the advice and get a new one.

All this assumes you haven't had a back injury beyond the usual muscle sprains and strains.

screenman

Legendary Member
What is your stretching regime like? Does your bike fit properly? and a lot more questions. In general it should not give problems and can strengthen core muscles which we know is good for the back.

doog

speaking as sommeone with a long history of complicated back issues, i would suggest asking your gp or physio that question. We are all different , whats good for one person could be hell for another. :thumbsup:

Ive had two spinal surgeries and have never met a GP,consultant,physio or surgeon who has actually been able to give me proper advice on riding a bike or not. One message has been clear from all and that is to do what you can do, within reason and that doesnt cause undue pain. Just keep moving in other words.

I actually now need a fusion (apparently) but dont get pain on the bike, whereas sitting or walking can be agony. Its fair to say that cycling isnt an impact exercise so unless your bike setup is way out I cant see what harm it can do.

OP
OP
cuske

cuske

Regular
Ive had two spinal surgeries and have never met a GP,consultant,physio or surgeon who has actually been able to give me proper advice on riding a bike or not. One message has been clear from all and that is to do what you can do, within reason and that doesnt cause undue pain. Just keep moving in other words.

I actually now need a fusion (apparently) but dont get pain on the bike, whereas sitting or walking can be agony. Its fair to say that cycling isnt an impact exercise so unless your bike setup is way out I cant see what harm it can do.

I'm in a similar position to yourself doog, I've a lot of degeneration causing scoliosis of the spine. Since posting this originally I've been out a few times and although sitting, walking, etc cause me pain, cycling does give me relief. Between stretching the back muscles and engaging the core something's working. I'm going to invest in a specialized cobl gobl-r seatpost after payday just to dampen any impacts from potholes, etc. Thanks for the replies guys.

Mark White

Is cycling good for relieving back pain, and if so are some bikes better than others?

I spend far too much time sitting at a computer for work and was getting pain and stiffness in my lower, right back. Can't say I've had much problems with it since starting with a hybrid bike about 6 months ago. But I think a just needed to move it and exercise a bit more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm in a similar position to yourself doog, I've a lot of degeneration causing scoliosis of the spine. Since posting this originally I've been out a few times and although sitting, walking, etc cause me pain, cycling does give me relief. Between stretching the back muscles and engaging the core something's working. I'm going to invest in a specialized cobl gobl-r seatpost after payday just to dampen any impacts from potholes, etc. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm interested to know whether you think a suspension seatpost might help Mrs Gti who has been off work for 6 months with spondyloisthesis, which is a partial displacement of the lowest joint where the spine meets the sacrum. She is slowly improving but very nervous about the idea of driving or cycling so I'm wondering if one of these might help once she does get back on the bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm interested to know whether you think a suspension seatpost might help Mrs Gti who has been off work for 6 months with spondyloisthesis, which is a partial displacement of the lowest joint where the spine meets the sacrum. She is slowly improving but very nervous about the idea of driving or cycling so I'm wondering if one of these might help once she does get back on the bike.
I have a USE Shokpost on my hardtail MTB. I normally use my legs as shock absorbers when riding offroad, but occasionally fail to spot something which gives the back wheel a thump while I have my weight on the saddle. The Shokpost has limited travel, but it is enough to take the sting out of minor bumps which would otherwise be very jarring. I say - give one a try!

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I first started mountain biking back in 1989 I was as unfit as hell and even a little overweight and I used to suffer from back pain. I got a USE suspension seatpost but it was pretty naff really, it used to get clogged up with grit and it wore out fast.

Top Bottom