Cycling and bicycle questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Sorry guys, try as I might I just can't get into cycle racing as a sport: it's relatively hard for a newcomer to get into it with all of the scandal going on around - I enjoy Le Tour and last year I watched the Paris-Roubaix, but I can't be bothered elsewhere.

Pete: perhaps there should be a rule that if you post a single non-cycling item then you must post a cycling based one?

Dave5N

Über Member
SamNichols said:
Sorry guys, try as I might I just can't get into cycle racing as a sport: it's relatively hard for a newcomer to get into it with all of the scandal going on around - I enjoy Le Tour and last year I watched the Paris-Roubaix, but I can't be bothered elsewhere.

Pete: perhaps there should be a rule that if you post a single non-cycling item then you must post a cycling based one?

Why?

bouncingsmiles.gif

i love bike racing as a sport. it took a while to get into it, but that could be due to lack of coverage... C4 were great at showing the Tour, but a half hour show isn't enough to get a feeling for a full day's racing. I love le Tour, but the Giro is often better for racing.

SamNichols

Dave5N said:

The joy of learning a whole new language, with blood masking and various doping agents. The joy of learning which teams can and can't be trusted, of which riders can and can't be trusted and the ins and outs of the rules. After the Rasmussen shenanigans on the Tour I gave up, I had no idea what was going on and didn't have the patience to find out. For me it's a hobby, and the pro side of things just isn't interesting. Some people may love it, but I just don't care.

Dave5N

Über Member
SamNichols said:
The joy of learning a whole new language, with blood masking and various doping agents. The joy of learning which teams can and can't be trusted, of which riders can and can't be trusted and the ins and outs of the rules. After the Rasmussen shenanigans on the Tour I gave up, I had no idea what was going on and didn't have the patience to find out. For me it's a hobby, and the pro side of things just isn't interesting. Some people may love it, but I just don't care.

This from the bloke who couldn't get from Victoria Park, Manchester to the National Velodrome (also in Manchester) for Revolution because his club weren't organising a trip.

Stop being so precious and go and see a race or two. I promise that when you have stopped marvelling at just how bloody fast they are (sprinting at 45mph) you really will find yourself excited and cheering on the riders.

Pete

SamNichols said:
:wacko::biggrin::biggrin: Tongue very firmly lodged in cheek there - I hope! As indeed is the OP. Seriously though, please don't invent a reason for more and more rules for the forum. There is a cycling forum out there circumscribed by a plethora of arbitrary and, some would say, autocratic rules. It isn't this one.

The point I had in mind, in fact, was that plenty of cycling related topics do indeed get posted. On Cafe and Soapbox. The Matthew Parris affair was a case in point. They really belong in one of the other sections like Campaigning. But I wouldn't like to be the one to cry foul...

Dave5N

Über Member
Pete said:
:wacko::biggrin::biggrin: Tongue very firmly lodged in cheek there - I hope! As indeed is the OP. Seriously though, please don't invent a reason for more and more rules for the forum. There is a cycling forum out there circumscribed by a plethora of arbitrary and, some would say, autocratic rules. It isn't this one.

The point I had in mind, in fact, was that plenty of cycling related topics do indeed get posted. On Cafe and Soapbox. The Matthew Parris affair was a case in point. They really belong in one of the other sections like Campaigning. But I wouldn't like to be the one to cry foul...

Where on Earth can you be thinking of? :blush:

SamNichols

Here we don't have arbitrary rules, we have abitrary rules which are a great deal more nonsensical, and sometimes a good deal more offensive.
(I did say it in jest by the way, i've made around 900 posts about nothing to do with cycling I would think).

SamNichols

laurence said:
there are rules here? why did no one tell me this. i joined as i was promised there was an espresso machine

I believe that the one rule is: don't post cafe threads in soapbox. The rest is a free for all, which is what is so endearing about this place and makes it so beautifully chaotic.

Top Bottom