Cycling and drinking, should we do it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
As a subject it strikes me as an over worry. Have a couple and cycle home this weekend, see for yourself.

I personally don't, but I did once a few months ago. It's not for me when clipped in on tight country lanes.

having a "couple" is fine, I've done it myself and like you, its not for me. I was referring more to those who go out on their bikes and have four or five or more drinks then cycle home, i have seen the funny side of it too, one chap who was staggering home on the pavement in the early hours of the morning, i'm not sure whether the bike was holding him up or he was holding the bike up as they were both almost 45 degrees to each other

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's called a 'Pub Bike' for a reason - that reason is not to drink Lime and Soda.

by the same token you could have a "pub car" or a "pub moped" but that wouldn't be acceptable would it, ...........................

by the same token you could have a "pub car" or a "pub moped" but that wouldn't be acceptable would it, ...........................
No becuase cars are much bigger and heavier and kill far more people.

I could kill someone with a pencil or with a machine gun. Machine gun is more dangerous and can kill more people quicker. That is why there's more restrictions on machines guns as opposed to pencils. But both can kill.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
No becuase cars are much bigger and heavier and kill far more people.

I could kill someone with a pencil or with a machine gun. Machine gun is more dangerous and can kill more people quicker. That is why there's more restrictions on machines guns as opposed to pencils. But both can kill.

that is a very simplified way of looking at it, it would appear that some people believe there should be different rules when it comes to cycling under the influence ,even if your balance etc can be impaired after a few beers, it is acceptable to steer a cycle on a public road????

The trouble is most cyclists drink that god-awful northern beer stuff getting turned on by the stupid names they all have. A proper cyclist only drinks lager preferably served in a reassuringly expensive bar.

that is a very simplified way of looking at it, it would appear that some people believe there should be different rules when it comes to cycling under the influence ,even if your balance etc can be impaired after a few beers it is acceptable to steer a cycle on a public road????
You shouldn't do it. But the police and courts should spend their time stopping drivers from doing it as that is what's killing people.

Tin Pot

Guru
So now as well as n+1 for bikes, there is n+1 for cars. I need to talk to the boss, I already have a normal car and a weekend toy, now I need a pub car. :smile:

I like this.

Like a winter bike. A pub car could have bumper car bumpers, minimal controls, have a max speed say ten miles an hour, be lit up like a Christmas tree...yes I can see it working.

Congrats to steve50 for bringing back drink driving! :biggrin:

Top Bottom