Cycling and drinking, should we do it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
because the risk to others is negligable - far less risk to others that soberly driven cars say. That-s why you don't have MOT's for bikes, don't need insurance, why it's ok for a small child to ride a bike but not drive a lorry etc etc. Whilst it's possible to imagine the drunken cyclist causing a truck to run over a group of pedestrians - has this ever happened? Hundrds, maybe thousands of people are killed by sober drivers each year

Indeed I'll wager that drunks on foot are more a danger to others. Walking into high street traffic arms spread, singing I Did It My Way can't be all that safe...for example.

So, "pub shoes" that don't let you off the pavement are one for the innovators as their is clear demand.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ideally, no. It's a lot fun however.

Flat handle bars?

A Recumbant could be fatal(!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Indeed I'll wager that drunks on foot are more a danger to others. Walking into high street traffic arms spread, singing I Did It My Way can't be all that safe...for example.

So, "pub shoes" that don't let you off the pavement are one for the innovators as their is clear demand.

hey that's a good idea for Dragons' Den - if they can keep you in a straight line without falling over as well, that'd be fab

Tin Pot

Guru
hey that's a good idea for Dragons' Den - if they can keep you in a straight line without falling over as well, that'd be fab

If those are the Requirements, I'll go with a automated wheelchair.

Like Boris Bikes, a line of them set up on the street outside the boozer. Hacks your phone as you approach for your address and credit card, and wheels you off as you collapse.

So just the name required: Peter (O'Toole) Punts, Oliver (Reed) Wheels or Harris (Richard) Chairs?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If those are the Requirements, I'll go with a automated wheelchair.

Like Boris Bikes, a line of them set up on the street outside the boozer. Hacks your phone as you approach for your address and credit card, and wheels you off as you collapse.

So just the name required: Peter (O'Toole) Punts, Oliver (Reed) Wheels or Harris (Richard) Chairs?

already have the name "beer scooter" surely

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Well, thanks for all of your opinions including one or two of you who admitted to riding whilst under the influence,

but it's still clearly "false equivalance" that cars and cycles should be same rules.
I never inferred that cars and cycles should have the same rules , ie; mot, tax etc. What I was trying to get across is should we drink and then ride our bikes whilst under the influence of alcohol. If we say yes thats fine are we then not being irresponsible especially if we then ride on the roads, whether we like it or not our balance and coordination is impaired after drinking three or four pints or shorts .

It also begs the question how many incidents "could" have been caused by cyclist error and never been reported, after all, if a cyclist caused an incident it is more than likely the cyclist that is going to be the injured party.

I think this says it all, http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/pedal-cyclists/facts-figures/

These figures only include cyclists killed or injured in road accidents that were reported to the police. Many cyclist casualties are not reported to the police, even when the cyclist is inured badly enough to be taken to hospital. The figures also exclude cycling accidents that occur away from the road. Although the number of deaths is accurate, there could be two or three times as many seriously injured cyclists and double the number of slightly injured.

As a cyclist I'm statistically more in danger of being overtaken by a twonk who doesn't notice an oncoming car than I sm from another drunk cyclist.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
As a cyclist I'm statistically more in danger of being overtaken by a twonk who doesn't notice an oncoming car than I sm from another drunk cyclist.

Where are you getting your statistics from?
any chance of a link?

mattobrien

Guru
I'll hold my hands up and say I am partial to cycling home after an evening out. Having reached the age / stage in life where I don't get blotto anymore, I have never felt that I haven't been in control of my bike or have posed any kind of threat to others.

While it is illegal to be drunk in charge of a bicycle, it is not illegal to ride having had a few. The line comes in defining drunk and if you are compus and in good control, then perhaps you are not drunk.

I don't even wear a helmet when on the pub bike ^_^

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I'll hold my hands up and say I am partial to cycling home after an evening out. Having reached the age / stage in life where I don't get blotto anymore, I have never felt that I haven't been in control of my bike or have posed any kind of threat to others.

While it is illegal to be drunk in charge of a bicycle, it is not illegal to ride having had a few. The line comes in defining drunk and if you are compus and in good control, then perhaps you are not drunk.

Thanks for your openness and honesty, it would seem to be the anally retentive bmw driver(s) among us who are having difficulty equating a hypothetical situation from real life and resorting to childish retorts. :rolleyes:

MarkF

Guru

I have a pub bike too, it gets used a lot...........I like to think that I am cycling off the calories on my return to base. The only time I've done it pissed, I ran over a cat, cut my hands and lost my glasses, so I don't ride pissed nowadays, but I am not sober either.

Ditto :highfive:

Thanks for your openness and honesty, it would seem to be the anally retentive bmw driver(s) among us who are having difficulty equating a hypothetical situation from real life and resorting to childish retorts. :rolleyes:
Why are you creating hypothetical situations where you display awful driving skills?

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom