Cycling and drinking, should we do it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You'd be very welcome to attend if you just wanted to swig Hofmeister, Marky. We've still got an underground bunker full of the stuff for when southern daisies visit.
Only if you promise to put it in a frosted glass and charge me at least £10 for it.

Julia9054

Guru
My sister was arrested back in the day for being drunk in charge of a bicycle.
She was stopped two Friday nights running by the same policeman. On the second occasion she unwisely decided to give him some friendly advice about catching real criminals!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Exactly, we all want to be recognized as road users with as much right to be on the roads as anyone else. So, why shouldn't the same rules apply when it comes to using the roads when under the influence?
Pedestrians have an absolute right to be on the road.

Cyclists, by virtue of the greater danger they pose other road users, have some restrictions on their right to use the road (e.g. not allowed on footways, must have lights at night, shouldn't be incapacitated through drink, etc)

Motorists, by virtue of the yet greater danger they pose other road users, have even more restrictions (e.g. must pass test and get licence, stiff limit on alcohol, MOT, insurance etc)

You may be under the impression that motorists are the rightful owners of the road and everyone else should fit round them. Although practically speaking this may be the case today, historically it was not the case, legally[*] it is not the case, and it's clearly not desirable (in view of CO2 levels, urban congestion, lives lost to RTCs etc) that it remain the case. I would therefore be very opposed to any measures that seek to reinforce the status quo at the expense of people who do not have the good fortune of an outsize tin box to cart themselves around in.

[*] hypothetically-legally in the sense of "good luck finding a CPS that'll bring the case and a jury who'll convict"

There's no real equivalence is there. If I put my two ton vehicle through a wall, the wall loses. If I put my 74ish (depending on beer consumption) through a wall, well actually, I can't. I know this to be fact and it was a soft sandstone wall not a hard granite one.

Reactions: mjr

Wolf616

Über Member
I've only run over 3 pedestrians drunk cycling and they all survived, so I don't see the problem

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Exactly, we all want to be recognized as road users with as much right to be on the roads as anyone else. So, why shouldn't the same rules apply when it comes to using the roads when under the influence?

because the risk to others is negligable - far less risk to others that soberly driven cars say. That-s why you don't have MOT's for bikes, don't need insurance, why it's ok for a small child to ride a bike but not drive a lorry etc etc. Whilst it's possible to imagine the drunken cyclist causing a truck to run over a group of pedestrians - has this ever happened? Hundrds, maybe thousands of people are killed by sober drivers each year

subaqua

What’s the point
because the risk to others is negligable - far less risk to others that soberly driven cars say. That-s why you don't have MOT's for bikes, don't need insurance, why it's ok for a small child to ride a bike but not drive a lorry etc etc. Whilst it's possible to imagine the drunken cyclist causing a truck to run over a group of pedestrians - has this ever happened? Hundrds, maybe thousands of people are killed by sober drivers each year
more people are killed by sober drivers each year which means it must be safer to drive drunk ;)

this has no basis in statistical analysis and may* be incorrect

* = most definitely is

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've cycled "home" in cph once or twice when I was so drunk I could hardly stand up let alone walk. I'd NEVER get that smashed and ride on the roads in the UK.
Drunk cyclists are pretty common in cph btw. Especially on Thursday nights, after, say, 20:00, and, let's face it, anyone cycling here after 23:00 is almost bound to be slotted.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
more people are killed by sober drivers each year which means it must be safer to drive drunk ;)

this has no basis in statistical analysis and may* be incorrect

* = most definitely is

well OK, perhaps I should have said "even" by sober drivers.

And I do get your actual point point as well - but it's still clearly "false equivalance" that cars and cycles should be same rules.

Top Bottom