cycling and running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what's the consensus here in the idea that cycling and running use different muscles, and that doing one can interfere with your ability in the other.

i will be starting some running training for doing a sprint triathlon next year, and i'm concerned that i might lose some speed on the bike as a result.

dodgy

Not sure if they interfere, but rather that the benefits from each discipline are not readily transferable.

Dave.

Plax

Guru
I've never heard that they interfere, but they certainly do use different muscles. I used to do a lot of running before cycling, and was shocked at how much my legs used to hurt when I first started cycling!

col

Legendary Member
If you continue training on your bike,there is no reason why you should loose anything,they are two different set of muscles used,the only thing i could see as a disadvantage,is the extra enrgy needed to train in both diciplines,so if you adjust your diet and rest accordingly,your going to end up being very fit indeed.

Blue

Legendary Member
By doing both you get the benefit of cross training - resting one muscle group while working another whilst building overall strength and fitness.

As previously stated, you just have to take care iro diet etc.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One disadvantage is that you can end-up with more muscle mass, only part of which is used in either sport, the rst needs fueel too an needs to be propelled.
I'm increasingly certain my greater leg muscle mass is due to have started running rather than the increased cycling.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I've been running for 3 1/2 years and am about to take up cycling for commuting and cross training. Today I dug an old MTB out of the shed steel frame, heavy old clump . I did a 10m run then a 10m cycle, my legs felt ok afterwards but I suppose 10m on a bike isn't that much, in fact it was quite enjoyable. I think I'll order a hybrid this week.

Top Bottom