Cycling and the Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Yes you may be at higher risk immediately after cycling and good idea to take precuations then.

The fitter you are before you get the virus the less time it will take you to regain fitness when you recover. Keep cycling!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was reading a similar thing on a running forum - there was a point made there that after immediately completing an endurance event you immune system takes a hit due to the stress you have put it under.

That rings true. When I was running long distances I'd often succumb to cold sores in the days after an event.

As my body became adapted to the distance I'd no longer get cold sores, but if I upped the distance or raced particularly hard they would reappear.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would say slim to none (and slim is out-of-town :rolleyes:) at least as a consequence of cycling. Since I have been cycling to work (20 years) I have hardly ever picked up colds and flu's that most other people seem to pick up on a regular basis. I can only speak for me, but I think all the fresh air seems to boost your immune system.

You are not far off. Regular endurance exercise does preserve the immune system, more specifically the size of the Thymus which produces T cells. In most sedentary adults the Thymus shrinks over time, reducing the effectiveness of their immune system. Hence why the elderley are said to have weakened immune system and are vulnerable to these viruses. It's more that they have been sedentary most of their lives and so the immune system has weakened. They can't produce as many T cells rapidily and efficiently, and so viruses can more easily gain a foothold. So it very does much protect you when mixing in others in crowded places. (research into aging which came out of Kings College London in 2018)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5847865/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6395415/

It's also true that if you overdo it, the immune system function is depressed for a few days whilst your body is in deep recovery / repair mode.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2803113/

Last edited:

Kryton521

Über Member
Certainly think the fitter or healthier you are, the less damaging or quicker you will recover from it. But unless you are planning on living in isolation, it's always a possibility that you will contract it.
Super market trolleys and baskets best be avoided, unless you carry sterile wipes with you?

I was reading a similar thing on a running forum - there was a point made there that after immediately completing an endurance event you immune system takes a hit due to the stress you have put it under.

Personally keeping your cardio V intact has to be good thing with a respiratory virus doing the rounds.
Immune system post exercise is totally irrelevant, this is a new disease and no one will have immunity, except those that have recently recovered. Key reasons to worry are being aged over 60 and/or currently experiencing poor respiratory health. However, some younger and apparently fit people have died from exposure, but these are very rare occurrence. Anyone that has suffered with influenza will know that this is not to be trifled with, young and fit or not.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Certainly think the fitter or healthier you are, the less damaging or quicker you will recover from it. But unless you are planning on living in isolation, it's always a possibility that you will contract it.
Super market trolleys and baskets best be avoided, unless you carry sterile wipes with you?
Trolleys etc is a good call

Add fuel pumps at petrol stations to that list

Wear gloves or use hand sanitizer afterwards

Main method of transmission is via airborne water droplets. They usually fall to the ground within 6 meters due to gravity, so your best chance of avoiding it is social distancing, stay over 6 meter from others to be safe, washing hands frequently when touching surfaces touched by others, especially before eating. Also learn to stop touching your own face. Much harder than it seems, takes a lot of determination and practice.

lane

Veteran
Although ultimately your immune system has got to fight the infection that's the only way you get better. At what point after you are infected does that process start and if you are infected after exercise when immunity is surpressed will it make a difference?

Top Bottom