Cycling and the Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Immune system post exercise is totally irrelevant, this is a new disease and no one will have immunity, except those that have recently recovered. Key reasons to worry are being aged over 60 and/or currently experiencing poor respiratory health. However, some younger and apparently fit people have died from exposure, but these are very rare occurrence. Anyone that has suffered with influenza will know that this is not to be trifled with, young and fit or not.
Not something that I have read but something someone told me - little kids are potentially likely to have some immunity against this strain of CV (Covid-19) as there are other winter bugs that are actually coronaviruses. Kids get far more frequent lurgies, those at nursery / school especially.

Hypothesis as to why most children aren't getting more severe illness from Covid-19, although of course they can pass it on...

vickster

Legendary Member
Social distancing, stay over 6 meter from others to be safe, washing hands frequently, especially before eating. Also stop touching your own face. Much harder than it seems, takes a lot of determination and practice.
No chance of getting kids to do it either

Hypothesis as to why most children aren't getting more severe illness from Covid-19, although of course they can pass it on...

I'm not an expert, but I've heard it's more to do with how the immune system responds. Often, it's the immune system's response that kills the person. Search for cytokine storm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not an expert, but I've heard it's more to do with how the immune system responds. Often, it's the immune system's response that kills the person.
Don't know - cardiac and COPD patients (quite a few of those who have died in China) have a weakened immune system not an auto-immune response?

Don't know - cardiac and COPD patients (quite a few of those who have died in China) have a weakened immune system not an auto-immune response?
Sorry edited in a key phrase at the end after you responded. Yes, no immune response is bad, but an over-response can be just as bad. Kids have milder responses. Truth is we don't know why kids are less likely to die yet, many unknowns.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What are the chances of a cyclist contacting Coronavirus ? as it is a respiratory infection I guess and I am only guessing it must be slim as most cyclists are always blowing hard so you blow out any thing bad that you breathe in
Is this a serious question? Other than potentially less exposure to public transport cycling makes no difference whatsoever.

Is this a serious question? Other than potentially less exposure to public transport cycling makes no difference whatsoever.
What if you're cycling to a cafe for a slab of cake, or with a group who might have been exposed in italy? As already mentioned, social distancing is the best thing you can do. Not many who can really do this as intended though, as most of us require some human contact at some point or another. It's just a matter of time until it goes endemic.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't know what all the fuss is about, TBH. If you're going to catch it you're going to catch it, just like any other cold or flu. I rarely get ill with viruses, and the last time I had real flu was 1996 - it put me out of action for four days and I felt as rough as a badger's arse.
All I'm going to do is the obvious stuff; keeping hands clean especially when eating. Not going to crowded places full of kids or adults. It's not going to stop me going out for a beer though, either later tonight or on any other night I fancy it. Look at it rationally; we have something like 36 known cases in a 60 million population. At any one time, how many people in the UK have got normal flu? I bet it's a thousand times more than the coronavirus!

I don't know what all the fuss is about, TBH. If you're going to catch it you're going to catch it, just like any other cold or flu.
There's a lot of fuss because it's a serious public health issue. If they are old or vulnerable and end up with complications they will be placing additional stress on a health service already at its limits. Some could die in corridors because they can't get a bed and proper care, because hospitals can't cope with the additional pressure. Others at home, as they have no one to check in on them. People WILL die, it will effect them and their families in tragic ways, even if the able bodied just see it as another cold or flu. Unlike flu, there are no known treatments or vaccines, so there's now a high chance it's going to create problems for society in a way that's not been experienced in a very long time. I'm alright Jack attitudes might not be very popular in a few weeks time, so you might want to nip that in the bud! Social distancing is effective, and if you don't practice it, you might be the one to pass it on to a close friend or relative who will have to live with the aftermath. So maybe think twice about the pub visits. I'm not picking you out specifically, just making the point that others miss a lot. There is likely undetected community transmission now, only those who think they've been exposed get tested, chances are it's already out there, even if the official figures make you think it's small and not widespread, it may not reflect reality. So it's in all our power to practice social distancing to slow it down, if only to buy more time until treatments are available. Of course, no one is measuring the economic impact of social distancing, which could have even worse implications for some in society. It's a tough one!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Main method of transmission is via airborne water droplets. They usually fall to the ground within 6 meters due to gravity, so your best chance of avoiding it is social distancing, stay over 6 meter from others to be safe, washing hands frequently when touching surfaces touched by others, especially before eating. Also learn to stop touching your own face. Much harder than it seems, takes a lot of determination and practice.
Is sneezing into a Dyson Knife hand dryer a bit of a no-no?

Don’t ride any bikes that have recently come from Hubei, and you’ll be fine.
When it was all kicking off last month, I had ordered a package from ebay. It was a a plastic widget that came from Wuhan, but it tooks so long to get here I figured the virus would be dead anyway, even if it were contaminated at the other end.

Top Bottom