cycling and weight loss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big boy

Having struggled with my weight all my life, cycling really helps to keep the weight down a little.
Have any of you got any succes stories regarding cycling and losing weight .
If you have i for one would be keen to hear how you did it.
As i no longer work my bike is the only real exersize tool that i have, that and walking the dogs.
I have used weights in the past and for a while did a bit of kickboxing, cycling seems to fit the bill at the moment.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

boxer

Regular
Cycling isnt my main source of exercise (you can guess what my primary sport is), but as i now commute 15miles each way to and from work, i am noticing that ive dropped a couple of extra pounds. In my experience, as long as you are exercising regularly, whether its cycling or aother hobby, you will drop some weight.

Keep up the good work!!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Went from 18.5st to 12.5st in 12 months just via cycling. You need to maintain your willpower and go out no matter what the weather as any stop may prompt a stop in exercise. Set yourself goals and rewards along the way. I found recording your workouts and weight loss really helped. Strava is a good tool for tracking your fitness as you start to get better on certain segments. Most important of all, remember to rest and eat correctly and above all, try and enjoy it.

tadpole

Went from 23 stone 4lb to 16 stone 2lb my only execise has been cycling, slowly for the first year, and much faster this year (since I've got strava) 32lb to go.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
This time last year, I was 23.5 stone. Now, I'm a smidge over 13.

Not only has cycling helped me lose weight, but I'm experiencing the great outdoors like never before - riding every weekend and finding some fantastic lanes I never even knew existied.

The fitness that I have built through cycling has led me to start running also. At least twice a week I now punch out a 10K run at about 05:30 in the morning. Absolutely love it - running through our local woodland as the sun breaks through the tress (or not!).

It struck me the other day (as I finished an 8 mile run) that this was the distance that I used to cover when I first started cycling. And, I'm running it now almost as quickly as I used to cycle it!!!

Keep at the cycling mate, it's all good. Can't belive it took me so long to find.

OP
OP
B

Big boy

Well well done all of you thats brilliant.
At my top weight i was 18 st 4, i lost 4 stone over about 9 months through dieting.
I then met my present gf and ahem forgot about the diet for a few years.
Im sitting at about 16 stone at the moment, but have lost some motivation to get out every day on the bike.
Long story really but my latest lay off has been cos of my back.
Again well done to everyone Anyone else??

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
I lost over 4 stone last year but it wasn't all cycling, at Christmas 2010 I had a few too many sherries and agreed to enter a triathlon sprint with my sister in September 2011 at Hever Castle. I didn't do anything until my 40th birthday in april, then lost the 4 stone training, mainly running 5ks and swimming - I left cycling till late as I had a 22 yr old Dawes that needed some work. Anyway, loved the tri, and managed to kept the weight off (the best thing was myfitnesspal.com which made me realise how much food I ate in a day). I'm about 13 and a half stone now, but keep an eye on the weight, but really got into the cycling this year when I treated myself to the Orbea Aqua. Cycling just makes it really easy to stay motivated, because it's so much fun, especially with cyclemeter, dailymile and strava. Also signed up to a couple of sportives this year (50 and 100 milers) with a couple of friends, keeps the motivation going and makes the whole experience more sociable.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not as much as the others - but I've lost 3 1/2 stone just through diet changes and riding the bike. An interview I read last March with gb155 helped get me moving on it. I thought "if he can do it, certainly you can". And I did :tongue:

I started out with a bike (useful!) and a short 6-mile route including a hill. And kept doing the route until I could a) get up the hill non-stop and b) get round without stopping. First time I walked the hill and stopped 5-6 times.
Over the next few months the distance increased and the weight started to come off, slowly at first, then 1/2 a stone a month.

Crankarm

Guru
I just can't comprehend being 22 -23 stone. I've always weighed about 10.5 - 11 stone. Some times a bit less or a tiny bit more. You have to do some serious eating to get that fat IMHO. It's not just the visible fat either but the excessive fat that is stored around your vital organs eg liver and heart. Yuck! Respect to those who have lost all the weight. Stay off the pies and pizza.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The most important part IMHO is motivation, diet and identifying your bad habits, so you can avoid them. I peaked at about 22 stone when I was 28, mostly due to portion size (despite typically low fat meals), snacking/beer, a strong aversion to exercise and Id given up trying to control my weight after many failures. I then found motivation heading for 30.. cut down the calories, severely restricted the drinking, took up running, weights and later cycling and lost about 6 stone slowly over 2 years and momentum kinda gathered with me doing more and more exercise each week watching my weight and race times dropping, which also allowed me to eat and drink more. I stopped running with friends when they gave it up and winter set in and I took a couple of month break, after which I was slower, significantly heavier and realised Id never realistically train as intensely on my own or beat my PBs, so struggled with motivation and focussed on cycling more instead but ive kept slowly gaining weight.

To start with the motivation came from going on holiday with friends and being exhausted just walking around all day and looking for places to sit down rather than joining in the fun, but the problem I have now is that despite being 18.5 stone (at 6'2) my fitness is still pretty decent, I can comfortably run a 10k tomorrow or a half marathon at a few weeks notice, or go out and cycle 50+ miles, so I dont feel as much need to lose weight as I did. It's finding a big enough reason to lose the weight, at the moment im thinking about running a marathon next year and with that in mind have lost a stone in the past two months but id want to lose another 3 at least, and ill need another reason after that. :smile:

I just can't comprehend being 22 -23 stone. I've always weighed about 10.5 - 11 stone. Some times a bit less or a tiny bit more. You have to do some serious eating to get that fat IMHO. It's not just the visible fat either but the excessive fat that is stored around your vital organs eg liver and heart. Yuck! Respect to those who have lost all the weight. Stay off the pies and pizza.
It only takes something like 500 calories extra per day to gain a pound a week or 3.5 stone a year so its quite easily done gradually over time without necessarily eating lots of junk food or a high fat diet if you just eat a bit too much. :smile: It's hard to comprehend from both perspectives, a lot of people who have been heavy their whole life dont realise how much easier things are day to day without several stone extra bearing down on you.

Drago

Legendary Member
I do around 300 miles a week work and leisure cycling, and weigh typically 17 st, fluctuating 2 or 3lbs either way depending on if I'm training for a 'lifting competition, or just maintaining mass over the summer. I'm about 16-11 now, but'll be about 17-2 or 3 by the next competition in January.

I love my cycling but the 'lifting training and diet puts any weight loss out the window, which is not a problem for me.

Booyaa

Veteran
it was easy enough to do, used to play basketball at junior international level and was around 15 or 16 stone at the "peak" of my fitness. After stopping training as much, used to be 6 or 7 times a week, and a sedentary job the pounds just kept arriving. I am 6ft 5 and built big anyway so I will never be thin and unlikely the muscle mass I still have is going to reduce any. Will see what happens over time though.

Top Bottom