Cycling Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

besly988

HI All,

i have 2 questions for you all

1) is there any app that you know of that tracks the route you cycle offline. So say your touring and you dont have the internet, but you have gps.. it can track your whole tripand then it will show you the map and route once you get to a wifi connection. The benefit would be that it is just the gps that is being used so the battery should last longer!
2) if there isnt... do you think there is a need for an app like that? would you use it?

I am a cyclist myself and thinking of building one as i cant find one anywhere.

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
The last time I used the Strava app it did exactly that. It recorded the GPS with data off, then as soon as I got home within my wifi range it would upload it.

If data is on, I am not sure if it uses it to download maps or anything, or if there are settings to control this, but certainly I used to have data turned off and it recorded my rides fine.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Strava does it I agree. I sometimes use it that way myself on an old phone that doesn't have any credit on it. In fact I did it today as I needed to save the battery on my main phone.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I think I read somewhere that some apps will use wifi / data alongside GPS to try and be more accurate on your position, but mostly Strava and the like works fine offline.

Top Bottom