Cycling as a spiritual and psychologically uplifting experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[quote name='swee'pea99' date='16 July 2010 - 13:47:10' timestamp='1279284430' post='1330553']
Fnaar...even by your standards...
[/quote]

smile.gif
sad.gif
blush.gif

ChrisKH

Guru
Like most things, the true value only becomes apparent when for whatever reason you can't do it anymore.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Not so sure about the spiritual bit but definitely helps on the sanity front!

IMO it's because when riding you are "living in the moment" and not worrying about the future/other things

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I remember having this discussion years ago on the old C+ Forum. What I said then still feels true: there are moments when cycling when everything falls into place and you feel almost part of the air around you, and your legs are someone the same force that makes the wind blow. There can be a genuine joy in cycling. That's not to say this can't be found elsewhere but there is a special joy in cycling. I find this most often when I get into the rhythm of a serious climb when there is nothing to do except keep turning the pedals or get off. And you just don't get off.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I find this most often when I get into the rhythm of a serious climb when there is nothing to do except keep turning the pedals or get off. And you just don't get off.

I like that
smile.gif

I love hills too... I actively search them out
smile.gif

Just love the challenge and the feeling of achievement from it.
smile.gif

And you're right, FM... you just don't get off.
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 11
  • smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 9
  • smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 13

TVC

Smooth tarmac, sunshine, and a following wind, suddenly life seems effortless - those are the great moments

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has to fit in with life.................. though...........

I do as much as I can in my commute as I can, then grab the odd hour or two the odd weekend for a 'best bike' ride...... :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh and there are Dan's track meetings, then any family stuff has to do a side step.............. no chance missing these.............. :rolleyes: - not too often and he does give us lots of notice... :tongue: It goes in the family calendar months in advance.................

My life is devoid of spirituality through choice. Having said that there is something very calming about those pure moments when you realise your head and body are completely in the moment, and the structures, strictures and striations of everyday life cannot touch you any more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For me the joy of cycling extends beyond the movement and the exercise; I also love my bikes and derive a lot of pleasure from thinking about them and fettling them, upgrading them, improving them and maintaining them. The bicycle is such a perfect machine and so easy to repair and maintain, rewarding you with movement and moments of exhilaration.

Top Bottom