Cycling at the 1948 London Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
That was THE course, the one everyone wanted to ride. It could be hard to make the start list as events there were always well over subscribed. I remember two clubmates travelling up from east London to try for the club's 25 mile TT record, but they caught a foul day with heavy rain and strong winds so no go.
Yep, was THE course. My normal courses were the D, L and J courses and we were always envious of the O2 course. Went over a couple of times for "limit" events, but nearly always had very windy conditions. The J32 course was a rolling course, but seemed to get good weather conditions. The Oldbury boys took team comp record for the 30mile version of the J32 on a really good day.

Sharky

Guru
The Oldbury boys took team comp record for the 30mile version of the J32 on a really good day.
@GuyBoden
Incidently, the day I rode the 30 course, the Oldbury team that broke the record was Hayes, Blount and Iddles. However later that year (1968),they beat their own record and guess who was in the team that day - your uncle! Hayes, boden and Blount.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
@GuyBoden
Incidently, the day I rode the 30 course, the Oldbury team that broke the record was Hayes, Blount and Iddles. However later that year (1968),they beat their own record and guess who was in the team that day - your uncle! Hayes, boden and Blount.
Excellent, I regularly ride down Flittogate lane near the old J32 TT course, where they parked before the race.

I have my Uncle's plaque from the Oldbury Cycling Club.
Oldbury.png

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Haven't been there for years - has it changed much?

Nice photos, hardly any traffic, those were the days. :smile:

Unfortunately, the old J32 route used in 1968, which started from Mere doesn't exist, a new dual carriageway was opened in 2017 that links the M56 J7 to the M6 J19. The section of the J32 from Mere to the Windmill roundabout on the A556 stopped being used in the early 1970's. so later the start was at the Windmill pub and they rode to Sandiway on the A556. Today, this is a busy dual carriageway with traffic lights, junctions and roundabouts. I do sometimes ride short distances along the A556 to get to Plumley and Flittogate lane, but it's not pleasant.

Here's the area on google map:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3039035,-2.4217809,15z

Sharky

Guru
Must have been 1969 the last time I rode the J32. Then my parents and all my siblings moved down to Kent. Have returned to ride my old club's 10's a few time on the D10/1 (Rainford bypass). That course is pretty much unchanged apart from the big motorway roundabout turn at Skelmersdale. Rode the 10 a few years ago, the night Bradley Wiggins turned up.

Big T

Guru
The event I rode against Reg on the O2 was a middlemarkers event, for those who had not beaten 1hr 3mins. My previous best at the time was a 1.3.38. The event ended up being one of those rare float days. It was won by my clubmate Derek Leivers with a 57. I ended up with a 1.3.08. I entered the same event the following year and I was the scratchman, number 120, the only time this has ever happened to me.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The event I rode against Reg on the O2 was a middlemarkers event, for those who had not beaten 1hr 3mins. My previous best at the time was a 1.3.38. The event ended up being one of those rare float days. It was won by my clubmate Derek Leivers with a 57. I ended up with a 1.3.08. I entered the same event the following year and I was the scratchman, number 120, the only time this has ever happened to me.
You probably know, but there is an interesting and very detailed book about Reg Harris' cycling life. He seemed like a very focussed and determined character, a good read.

prod-book-reg-harris-1-wr.jpg

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I popped in to see Reg Harris today he's near the J2/9 TT course.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Almost 30 years ago and relatively young when he left us.
Only a year older than me (gulp!)
He had a stroke whilst out cycling, then someone spotted him sitting on the verge and they took him into hospital, he died a few days later.
He's in a nice spot facing the Pennine Hills.

Top Bottom