Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Zona Zero Route 13, Ainsa, Spain . . . .

1) Picture of the Ainsa mountain - thankfully I wasn't riding up it!
2) One of the features of "Countryside riding"
3) Some days all the trails seem to go up . . .
4) Ainsa lake - glacial water but warm enough to swim in :-)
20160812_183156 (1024x576).jpg
20160812_184911 (1024x576).jpg
20160812_192259 (1024x576).jpg
20160812_195252 (1024x576).jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The kitchen fluorescent tube in our rented apartment has started flashing.

I wrote "The light in the kitchen is not working properly. I think it needs a new lamp" into the phone translator and changed it to Spanish to send to our landlord. Before I sent it I thought I'd just check that it was correct so I translated it back to English.

It says "The kitchen is not working. The lamp is guilty" . . . . ;-)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The kitchen fluorescent tube in our rented apartment has started flashing.

I wrote "The light in the kitchen is not working properly. I think it needs a new lamp" into the phone translator and changed it to Spanish to send to our landlord. Before I sent it I thought I'd just check that it was correct so I translated it back to English.

It says "The kitchen is not working. The lamp is guilty" . . . . ;-)
Move the fuse in it . Take the cover off and you will see a round fuse ( in the side at one end normally ) about the size of a 10p . Give it a wiggle or remove and put it back in . If that doesnt work take the fuse to a shop and point at it to get a new one :laugh:
P.s turn the light off first !

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
Today we went exploring around the Ainsa lake. Actually it's a reservoir - "the Mediano", fed by the Ara and Cinco rivers from the Pyrenees which in turn feeds a hydro-electric power station down stream.

The water level is low at the moment (as is usual for this time of year) so we had the chance to drive down into the dam itself and have a good look around. In winter after the rains I'll have to take some "comparison photos".
MEMO0010 (2) (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0010 (4) (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0012 (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0016 (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0021 (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0022 (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0024 (1024x768).jpg
MEMO0025 (1024x768).jpg
P1010358 (1024x576).jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The Long and Winding (and treacherous!) road to our ongoing quest to obtaining planning permission for our project . . . . . . (Part 1)

Most of our posts on here have tended to be light-hearted and happy - and for the most part that has been exactly how things have been going for us over here in España. We have been very lucky - we've made some very good friends who have taken us into their homes & lives and treated us amazingly. We've been given help (and food!) without asking and generally treated like family. When the Spanish people say "mi casa su casa" (my house is your house) they really mean it. On top of that, the riding here is out of this world!

The professional people we've dealt with, the architect, our translator & solicitor and our financial advisor have become friends. All going "above and beyond" in order to help us with anything unplanned that has come up or anything we've struggled with. We are grateful to them all for making our lives easier than they could have been. Of course it's not all down to "luck" - I'd like to think that we're good people ourselves (well Mrs Bonus is anyway) so maybe it's true that you do get back what you put out there . . . .

However, as with any good story, there has to be a couple of "baddies" in the plot. Too much sugar will give you diabetes after all . . . . .

We applied for planning permission back in the middle of March. We knew that it could take a bit of time and we were prepared for that - mentally and financially. We chased-up the office of the municipal architect ourselves for the first ten weeks or so - but then when we really seemed to be getting nowhere our architect started chasing for us. Initially he had left it to us because he felt the municipal office would take us more seriously than they would take him - on the basis that at any one time he might be chasing them for half a dozen different projects.

Once he took over the chasing it became apparent that "all was not well". There was some confusion in the municipal offices as to whether we'd received a particular letter from them or not. (despite me visiting and asking for it a trillion times!) Adding to the confusion was the fact that we'd requested any post they sent to us to go to the previous owners house (Ramon the farmer) - because our property didn't have it's own post box. Eventually our architect went with us to the municipal offices and we discovered that the letter we'd been waiting for had been sitting with them for seven weeks. . . .

Not cool, but what's done is done. The seven weeks had gone and we just had to get over it and move on, which we did. (I have mentioned this missing letter on here before, so for some people this might be a repeat, but it's important with regards to what happened next).

Thinking that everything would now be ok we fell into what turned out to be rather a false sense of security. It didn't take long before the next bomb-shell came our way. While our letter had been sitting in somebodies "In Tray" the Spanish law regarding what you can and can't do when renovating a rural property had changed! They had now placed percentage limits on the total area of a finished project when compared to the original pre-renovation property . . .

Oh joy . . . :-)

Our architect consulted with a local lawyer, with an old friend in the government in Zaragoza and with a couple of local municipal advisors. The situation was clear - in this case where the change in law was nothing to do with public safety or similar, the municipal architect was obliged to take the date that we applied for planning permission, some weeks before the law changed, into account. To cut a long story short, after some badgering and raised voices the municipal architect agreed and our original plans & measurements would again be accepted.

Thinking that everything would now be ok we fell into what turned out to be rather a false sense of security. It didn't take long before the next bomb-shell came our way . . . (you will see that this is a recurring theme!)

Whilst on quick trip to the UK to see family and friends we received an email from our architect. One of our neighbours - a 90 year old man called Pepe had been to the municipal offices and objected to our planning application . . . .

In Part 2 you can find out what happened with 90 year old Pepe - now nicknamed "the busybody with far too much time on his hands!" . . . . .

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The Long and Winding (and treacherous!) road to our ongoing quest to obtaining planning permission for our project . . . . . . (Part 2)

When you buy a property in a developed or built up area the boundaries of the property are generally clear. Fences or walls exist and all parties concerned usually know where their property ends and someone else's begins. In the case of rural properties like ours, the lines are usually just as clear, but they will often be lines formed by trees & hedges, rivers or ancient stone walls. The principal is the same though - the agreed lines are the limits of the property.

Here in Spain the department that looks after boundaries and the like is called the "Department of the Catastral" - (Department of Maps). Or as we've named them now - the Department of Catastrophies.

It turns out that some 90% of all the rural maps held by the Catastral are incorrect. They thought they were doing ok but with the advent of Google Earth and similar mapping systems it turns out that they are not doing ok at all.

It's not entirely their fault - farmers have had a habit of selling off bits of property over the years but not telling the council or the Catastral (Capital Gains Tax avoidance) and so the maps are simply out of date. Now this isn't a problem if both parties are still alive, have their faculties and are still friends, but it becomes a huge problem if any (or all) of those criteria are not filled. Guess which camp we fall into . . . . . . ;-)

So, Ramon the friendly Farmers family sold some of their land many years ago without doing the correct paperwork. Then as the farm was left from one generation to another the neighbours gradually fell out with each until present time . . .

In the Pic attached you can see a green arrow leading from the end end of the municipal lane onto our front garden (which will be where our drive is) but it crosses a piece of property numbered 03 - this land belongs to Pepe. Pepe was annoyed that his enemy (or rather his families enemy) has sold a property (to us) and made some money so now to be difficult he has decided that maybe he doesn't want us driving over his land. The land in question is actually a big flat turning area where cars and farm vehicles can park or turn. The department of planning permission in Ainsa have said they will not proceed until this issue is resolved . . . .

Now the story get both complicated and intriguing - the architect called for a meeting on site to resolve the problem. The meeting included us - fresh back from the UK, Pepe the land owner, Ramon Snr (the previous property owner), estranged Ramon Jnr - who owns property No 5, the Architect and the Estate Agent. The estate agent says she was under the impression that access to our front garden was allowed because of the "historic right of way" that has been set over the years - but she is also the niece of Pepe, so she doesn't want to get too involved. Ramon Snr insists the historic right of way dictates access, but he won't talk to Pepe directly, only to the architect. Estranged Ramon Jnr says (grudgingly) that his dad is legally right but that he told him to have this stuff written down "before the property went on the market!" because he knew this would happen! The architect who is trying to sort this all out is not doing it purely out of the goodness of his own heart . . . .he owns the estate agency who, if push came to shove, would be sued for selling a property and not disclosing existing problems . . . .

Halfway through the meeting the "Family of Pepe" arrived. This is another niece and her husband and their 24 year old son. It turns out that they actually own the house and the land, not Pepe. Now they are annoyed with Pepe for causing trouble with the new neighbours (us) but they can't show their anger with Pepe in front of Ramon Snr - enemy of the family . . .. The niece and the architect come to an agreement that we will continue to drive across the land as always and this agreement is explained to us by their son - the only one in their family that speaks English.

Of course this is how it should have been from day one. There was never a chance of Pepe stopping us from accessing our land - but we didn't know that and it was a big worry.

So, we have an agreement written up, the architect draws up a plan showing all of our actual boundaries in their correct positions and everyone is happy. The agreement is signed the next day in the architects office and we take it to the municipal office for the town architect explaining to him that he can now proceed with our planning application . . . From here everything should be ok, right?

Two days later we get a message from the architect to say that Alberto, a different neighbour (and friend of Pepe's) who has a holiday home with land adjoining us on a different side has issued an objection to our planning application . . . . .

Grrrrr

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water . . . . .

(to be continued . . . . .)
pepe.jpg

Lpoolck

Veteran
Hopefully you will continue to get over these speedbumps. Sounds like pepe has nothing better to do, I am not sure how this affects him?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hopefully you will continue to get over these speedbumps. Sounds like pepe has nothing better to do, I am not sure how this affects him?
Presumably he lives in casa Pepe and would rather things die than change? There are many such people.

That said, why is @Bonus putting in planning applications without talking to the neighbours to identify if they've any "red lines"? I know you're not required to, but it seems a fairly simple way to reduce delays. When I was part of a planning committee, I was always surprised that it only seemed to be some of the large developers who bothered to consult and try to address objections before applying. Even then, not all of them. I'm struggling to remember who it was during my term that annoyed everyone enough that 150ish people from a fairly small village turned up to a planning meeting.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
It seems that the root of these issues and the "less than helpful manner" of the neighbours comes down more to a generations old fued between different sets of cousins than it does to us. We are simply caught up in it.

The good news is that although its delaying us a bit now and costing us in lawyers fees etc, in the end we will have iron-clad agreements regarding access to our property and boundaries. So we and our next of kin will never have the same problems that these cousins are having now because their forefathers didn't do things properly.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
"The Long and Winding Road Part 3" . . .

Today we finalised a draft agreement between ourselves and our neighbour Alberto. His lawyer will prepare the agreement for us all to sign on Monday morning at our architects office. Our architect, Pedro Miguel, assures us that once this is signed on Monday there is no reason for the council not to issue us with planning permission very quickly.

The "Alberto issue" has not been a pleasant one. The planning objection with Pepe was a nuisance and a worry but it was never really unpleasant and with hindsight it was worth getting it sorted out before rather than after we did our renovations - because vehicular access to our front garden in essential. This latest issue has just been unpleasant.

In a nutshell . . . .

the architect designed our property so that the north-west facing wall of our "tower" (shown in black on the sketch) which faces the mountains and has the best views, would contain six windows. 2 on the ground floor - lounge and dining room, 2 on the middle floor - bedrooms, and 2 on the top floor - bedrooms. In order for the council to grant us planning permission to put windows into that wall (which currently has none) we would either need to own the land marked with green stripes or have permission from the person that did to do so.

According to all the existing documentation, we do own the land but our neighbour, who owns the land marked "Field", disputes this fact, claiming that the existing ocumentation / agreement was incorrectly drafted back in 2008. He has flagged up this dispute between the two of us to the municipality will now not proceed with our building license until the matter is resolved.

So we find ourselves between a rock and a hard place. Firstly the municipality will not proceed with any dispute active. We are told that our documentation is good and that we can go to trial and almost certainly win - but it could take a year or more to get there. Meanwhile the project will just sit. Alternatively we can concede that the land belongs to Alberto, we would have to sign an agreement saying so and he will sign an agreement allowing us to put our windows into our wall and will sign over to us a strip of land tight against the wall of the tower allowing us to get between the road and our back garden (plot 152). With this agreement the municipality would be happy and we should have our planning permission very shortly.

We're not happy. It feels too much like we're being "blackmailed" by someone willing to "sit it out for as long as it takes" but the advice of our architect and all of our friends is to "sign the agreement and get on with our lives".

We have to decide by 11:30 Monday morning and either sign or not. We have the weekend to decide . . . .

... oh and tomorrow is Mrs Bonus's Birthday!
001.jpg
002.jpg
Alberto.jpg

:-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hope that the project goes ahead after all that you have put into it! It is a real shame that these problems have emerged so late in the process.

It looks like the kind of place that I would like to visit, and I am sure that many other CycleChatters would be interested too. Hmm, Spanish forum rides ... :whistle:

Top Bottom