Cycling Backpacks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Believer

Hi. I would like to buy a backpack that doesn't sit on your back so it has good air flow (back won't get hot and sweaty from the backpack). What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Saddlebag on the bike.

Far better to let the bike do the work if you need to carry stuff and any contents sharp or solid pressing against your back are not a good idea if you come off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My solution for that situation is a 13 litre Alpkit Airlok Xtra which straps to the top of the rack and contains a Dare2B Silicone rucksack which I pop the Airlok into when I prefer a rucksack to the Airlok's shoulder strap or handle. The rucksack is also useful for those impromptu smallholding fruit+veg stall purchases :smile:

double0jedi

I sometimes use a deuter compact air exp 10, which has supports you can adjust so the bag sits off your back. Its very good but, like Smokin Joe says something on the bike, like a saddlebag is a great alternative. I just switched over to a rack and panniers for my second bike and it is so much better than having a bag on your back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Consider how much you need to carry. I have a Decathlon Air rucksack that can take 25l which is a fair amount. I used to use it for commuting before switching to panniers, but use it when out with the family to carry tubes for 3 different tyre sizes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Deuter airflow or however they brand it. Rack and trunk bag/panniers far better if going any distance. I can bear a backpack for 30 mins tops

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Crumpler or timbuk2 messenger bags are waterproof and excellent value for money.

Use an Alpkit gourdon 20 for the commutes(usually 1hr) and it's brilliant;if I'm carrying more stuff in I use on of their tail packs.

The gourdon is totally waterproof and lightweight,it's nothing fancy but works really well.

Top Bottom