Cycling beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
has to be a strong belgian for me. fave is theroutenaare a beer brewed in torhout

beer%20bike%20promo.JPG

david k

Hi
slightly on the weak side for me df.

as, sadly, I think a fair lot of northern beer is.

How dare you, how very dare you

Because I'm northern david and so tell it as I see it. Will pm you if you want with the name of the wonderful but ultimately disappointing northern pub. On the beer front it is no match for my local london spoons, where, i am sad to say, i often pass over beers from my home turf.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One of my favourite pubs, in the north, persists in selling mostly pretty weak beer.

They claim that their customers prefer this.

I suspect other reasons.

This is an old-fashioned idea. Nowadays beer is clearly labelled with the ABV or Alcohol By Volume. The opportunities for landlords to water beer down are limited and in any case diluting would eventually destroy the landlord's livelihood as drinkers and regulatory authorities and the brewer found out. Presently the market is almost literally awash with excellent light session bitters with ABV around 3.6 to 3.8, which appeals to experienced beer drinkers who enjoy a couple of sociable pints but don't want to stagger home drunk. Happily these session bitters can be dressed up as "craft beer" with a fancy brand and some extra hopping and sold for a high price to former Europiss drinkers who have grown tired of the bland industrial pasteurized stuff that masquerades as European-style lager and are slowly developing taste and discrimination and a degree of interest in what they pour down their throats.

A side-benefit of what you call weak beer is that, as New Scientist has noted, a session bitter at around 3.8 ABV is actually the perfect sports recovery drink as it combines nutrition, hydration and vitamins with relaxing ethanol at exactly the right level that the water content offsets the diuretic effect of the ethanol - the perfect sociable sport recovery drink in other words.

Last edited:

barongreenback

Über Member
Yes, I'm also close to the brewery - some brilliant and quiet roads that side of Stratford. They also have a range of other beers in the shop - you may need to bring a van...

Hang on global' - i wasn't accusing anyone of watering down their beer, no idea where you got that idea from, i just, as you may have gathered, prefer strong beer.

And i fail to see what's happy about beer being "dressed up" as you put it and sold for a high/er price.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry BH, I thought you were insinuating that some pubs water their beer.

Happy because at least former Europiss drinkers are being weaned off lager and are supporting proper brewers who take pride in their product.

Top Bottom