Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am just about running out of new cycling books, I am almost finished a biography about Bahmontes (not that great) and have a biography about Lapize (entitled "Lapize: now there was an Ace" which I think is a great title) sitting to be read. And then that's me out of new cycling books, and I can't think of any old books to hand that I want to re-read. But it's present time of year, so I hope that at least one book finds its way to my house. Trott/Kenny is not on my list.
The Lapize book was excellent.

I have just finished reading Herbie Sykes "The Eagle of the Canavese" about Franco Balmamion, or more exactly Balmamion, mostly the 1962 Giro and an assortment of other riders from that race - I really enjoyed it; "catching up" with the riders over 40 years later was good. The book is 10 years old now (I think) so I imagine a few of those interviewed are now no longer with us as they were "getting on"...

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
How can you read a book amidst all the pandemonium of the current threads?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Read the Nicole Cooke book a while ago, when a collegue lent me it

I've got the Boardman autobiography on the go, in meal-breaks, at work, at the moment

Just got past the section, when Jen Voigt & CB, are sat in a Parisian STD clinic...................................

Is the Boardman book any good? I've got it but not got round to reading it yet.

Just spotted that this was released last week:
upload_2017-7-12_22-52-11.jpeg

I'll let you know how it is shortly

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nicole Cooke's The Breakaway and Boardmans's autobiography, neither were ghost written.

Cooke's book is excellent and if you want an insight into women's racing compared to men's, it's essential and compulsive reading. If I had a criticism it's its absoluteness. Cooke leaves no room for other views and whilst I'm sure that she's not lying or exaggerating, I was left feeling I'd like to read another account of the same events from a different perspective. There's also some hypocrisy in her intimation of other riders by association with only a vague acknowledgement that the same could be said of her. Nevertheless, highly recommended, especially in light of the recent Sutton and BC inquiries.

Boardman,s book was excellent, funny and insightful, especially about BC. If you want an entirely different summation of what BC have achieved than Cooke's, read it. Striking is the comparison of wages when Boardman turned professional in 92/93 with GAN, earning 90k plus bonuses. A decade later, Cooke turned professional, earning 8K and then after a successful year 20k and she had to go to court to get paid her salary.

Boardman's tales include describing getting home after the 92 Olympic win and going to the chippy, the Dolphin, were they gave him his chips free. Only the once mind, he says. High standards in the Dolphin, one Gold medal, one portion of free chips.

Particularly enlightening was the formation of the Secret Squirrel club and what they did. Not everything is sweetness and light though. There are some heavier sides to Boardman's character, the kind that are common amongst the highly driven, people who can achieve what he has done. The latter part of the book deals with his move to commentating and the beginning of his cycle advocacy and again, it's a fascinating read. Highly recommended.
I spotted Boardman's autobiography (Triumphs and Turbulence) in Todmorden library on Friday afternoon and had finished it by this morning (Sunday). The fact that I read it so quickly is an indication of how much I enjoyed it. I like his sense of humour and the way he writes. There is some interesting material in the book - some of which I already knew but it was good to see it explained in more detail. There were also lots of things that I did not know. A good book for anyone interested in the recent history of British pro cycling .

I have a copy of Daniel Friebe's book 'EDDY MERCKX THE CANNIBAL' to read next.

I will have to read Nicole Cooke's autobiography to see what she has to say.

Just spotted that this was released last week:
View attachment 361863

I'll let you know how it is shortly

Started reading this last night, the Fuentes set-up (and others who offered similar blood-storage/doping facilities) comes across as a shambles; he speaks highly of some dodgy characters, offers no judgement on others and thinks poorly of a few. He shagged a lot.

And he continued to shag, and drink a lot of alcohol, and use just about every means of doping he could. And then got busted so shagged a bit more and drank a lot more.

The end.

I'll go and have a closer read of it, I may have missed some of the sub-plot...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mark Cavendish - At Speed.

An utterly soulless read - not a hint of real emotion or of the pain and suffering that must've gone into the winning of the Green Jersey.

As a window into the man's character and into the sport itself this one is very opaque.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Mark Cavendish - At Speed.

An utterly soulless read - not a hint of real emotion or of the pain and suffering that must've gone into the winning of the Green Jersey.

As a window into the man's character and into the sport itself this one is very opaque.

Ghost written by Daniel Friebe.

SpokeyDokey

Just finished 'Sky's the Limit: Wiggins & Cavendish: the Quest to Conquer the Tour de France' by Richard Moore.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. For someone who knows little about professional cycle racing this was a fascinating read about Sky's emergence into the tradition steeped and apparently staid world of road racing.

Translating British Cycling's success on the track to the road scene was a huge challenge for Brailsford & Co. Their 'left field' approach was not always welcome and not always successful but they shook up the establishment making friends and enemies along the way.

Interesting insights into the personalities of Wiggins & Cavendish - and Froome in the later stages of the book.

Well written in 'documentary' style and worth a read.

SpokeyDokey

Charly Weglius - Domestique.

A really first rate book.

Ignoring some of the liberal use of profanities this is a well written tale of a dream, the dream realised and then the fading of the dream.

The harsh realities of the multi-faceted Domestique role are laid bare and as the book progresses Charly morphs from starry eyed teenager with big dreams into a husk of the man he once was by the time his career ends.

Good insight into doping tests and the problems they caused (maybe they still do?) for those athletes that have naturally high haematocrit levels.

David Millar up next - looks like there's a fair bit of swearing in this book too - must be a pro' cyclists thing! :smile:

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Just finished Ventoux by Jeremy Whittle. Started a little slow but really enjoyed by the end. Interesting section on team sky and Chris Frome win on Ventoux as well as well as a Tom Simpson theme throughout.

Charly Weglius - Domestique.

A really first rate book.

Ignoring some of the liberal use of profanities this is a well written tale of a dream, the dream realised and then the fading of the dream.

The harsh realities of the multi-faceted Domestique role are laid bare and as the book progresses Charly morphs from starry eyed teenager with big dreams into a husk of the man he once was by the time his career ends.

Good insight into doping tests and the problems they caused (maybe they still do?) for those athletes that have naturally high haematocrit levels.

I've read that too, good book and of course it contains an account of the infamous worlds race where he pulled the race for the Italians whilst on the British team.

Top Bottom