Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
Perhaps we should start a book exchange/swap system on here. It would rely on everyone's trust to send the books to each other:smooch:I have LC's book Every second counts if someone wants to swap!

Stange

"A Race for Madmen" is good as is "Blazing Saddles". Ned Boulting's is fun and I even enjoyed the "Sky's the Limit".

2pies

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a good book about Merckx? I'm ashamed to say that I know almost nothing about the greatest cyclist ever.

Loved Slaying the Badger. Hopefully Santa will be bringing me a retro La Vie Claire shirt. How can you not love it?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
ned boulting's the yellow jumper is a great read; got it for my birthday and finished it the same weekend.

i also recommend in search of tom simpson, and the death of marco pantani.

my favourite book though is the 2003 centenary book of the tour de france, which gives 4 large pages to each race, loads of brilliant photos too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Perhaps we should start a book exchange/swap system on here. It would rely on everyone's trust to send the books to each other:smooch:I have LC's book Every second counts if someone wants to swap!
We've been doing something similar on CycleChat for years, but we do it on a 'pass it on' basis! I've donated books and I've borrowed and passed on books.

Thompson

I've got one of Team Sky and a Cavendish one, but i've been wanting that race for mad men one. Hoping Santa is reading this. :smile:

Enigma2008

Über Member
Any of Greg Moody's cycling thrillers. A riveting read and ok they're fiction but they're still very good. A thriller mystery; that's about cycling! Brilliant IMO.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Just about finished Sex, Lies and Handlebar tape which, although it has some quite good bits, is mostly rather dull considering the subject matter...I am currently reading the final chapters where he has a child with his step-daughter at the insistence of her mother, then starts a long-term relationship with his stepsons partner (don't worry that's not a **spoiler** as you've had plenty of time to know the result by now! :tongue: )...quite strange. But still rather dull.

kinchonwheels

"The hour" is a great read and well written too.
"Rough ride" is terrific and very well written. Kimmage certainly found his vocation.
"dog in a hat" is also very good and more light hearted.
"breaking the chain", willy voet was also gripping as you are following the story from conviction to today.
inside the pelotan", nicolas roche was good / ok, he looses points from me as it was ghost written. I feel more could have been put concerning his relationship with his father and other irish cyclists that he was close to...

Top Bottom