Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattonsea

Über Member
I, personally, found Matt Rendell's book a bit too dry and full of numbers for my tastes. I'm not keen on his style of writing and ended up speed reading passages but each to his own.

The David Millar book, Racing Through the Dark, is a great insight into why and how riders can end up doping. An honest appraisal of his own failings.

I recently read Shay Elliot, the life and death of Ireland's yellow jersey by Graham Healy which was just above average as a read although not great literature. It was a bit of a revelation to me how much he had achieved long before Kelly and Roche.

David Millar's book is a good insight in to his early life , but the best I have read is Slaying the Badger. Hinault is such a character and
it really comes through in the writing. Non pro it would have to be French Revolutions , I laughed all through the book.

I just read it. It was good, and some very effective sections and a good structure, but it needed a proper editor on the job. There were several sentences repeated verbatim in different places and not for effect. It's not up to the standard of Kings of the Mountains, my absolute favourite non-fiction cycling book. But then Matt Rendell is a better writer than Richard Moore IMHO. I want to read Olympic Gangster now...

Okay, that's interesting FM I shall definitely keep an eye out for Matt Rendell's Kings of the Mountains.

Has anyone read Fallen Angel: the Passion of Fausto Coppi?

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Kings of the Mountains is a great book.
Olympic Gangster is also a great read, but very little to do with cycling after the first couple of chapters

thom

____
"Tomorrow we ride" - the memoirs of Jean Bobet, the brother of Louison Bobet, has a timeless quality about it.
After racing, I think Jean became a journalist so had himself decent writing ability - short but very evocative of a different time.

"Tomorrow we ride" - the memoirs of Jean Bobet, the brother of Louison Bobet, has a timeless quality about it.
After racing, I think Jean became a journalist so had himself decent writing ability - short but very evocative of a different time.

Yes, I think both were racing men but Jean became a journalist first if I remember rightly from reading about them both, and it was Louison with the serious talent on the bike. I'll look out for that one too...

Okay, that's interesting FM I shall definitely keep an eye out for Matt Rendell's Kings of the Mountains.

Has anyone read Fallen Angel: the Passion of Fausto Coppi?

yes... it's pretty good, but it made me want to know more about Bartali! the Coppi book seemed a bit 'detached', but not sure why. that and the Bartali book (Road to Valour) offer a great insight into Italian cycling history though - especially with the politics of the day.

I'm just finishing off Merckx - Half Man, Half Bike which is also a very good read. Perhaps subjectively, Slaying the Badger being the last cycling book I read, I enjoyed the distance that Fotheringham has of his subject - Merckx himself. Unlike with Richard Moore's title where Hinault and Lemond are interviewed at great length, Fotheringham has not the same privilege in regards to Merckx and so there are many more voices particularly in regards to the many men who worked for Merckx during his period of dominance at Molteni etc, among them Jos Bruyere for instance. Between them, these men give some interesting insights, criticisms and appraisals of Merckx's way of doing things which I like.

Perhaps this is my only criticism of the book itself is that Merckx himself becomes - whether intentionally or not - even more of an untouchable, a God-like figure not brought down to Earth by the years that have passed since, by a good writer. His distance is ever present throughout the book, despite the many facts regarding his life and some very interesting background history and the priceless input of those pivotal men in the great man's racing history.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

It's not up to the standard of Kings of the Mountains, my absolute favourite non-fiction cycling book.

I gave my copy away several years ago to someone on here, no idea who as it was as it's so long ago. I have now run out of cycling books to re-read and decided today that I wanted to re-read this book - have you seen the fecking price of it!!!???
:eek:

After much searching I did find a copy at a price I was willing to pay, but some of the asking prices were just bonkers!

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
Picked up Eddie Merckx: The Cannibal by Daniel Friebe at the airport last September. Another that reads like it was produced too quick without enough editing. My OH likes me to read to her sometimes (even cycling books!) and I found it really hard to do with this clunky one. In Search of Robert Millar and Death of Pantani were far better.
Kings of the Mountains sounds like a good 'un based on reviews above. Cheers.

yes... it's pretty good, but it made me want to know more about Bartali! the Coppi book seemed a bit 'detached', but not sure why. that and the Bartali book (Road to Valour) offer a great insight into Italian cycling history though - especially with the politics of the day.
I too enjoyed Fallen angel but it isn't half a depressing read, near the end. Fallen angel is quite an apt description of his short life. His family don't fair much better either.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter has just bought me "Land of Second Chances" - The impossible rise of Rwanda's cycling team, by Tim Lewis
I'll let you know how I get on.

Basil.B

Guru
"Pedalare Pedalare" a history of Italian cycling by John Foot is, I think, the most enjoyable cycling book I've ever read. It's certainly the only one that I want to re-read, and I will - once I manage to get it back off the friend I leant it to!
Reading this book at the moment, a jolly good read! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom