Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
For those who like a bit of older history, The Full Cycle, Vin Denson's autobiog.
How an old fashioned clubman with talent made it to the top, and what's happened since. Quite moving in places, and at the time of writing (2008) stil loving riding his bike. In a way quite Kelly-esqe, a real hard man on the bike but at heart still very bit the enthusiast who likes ridng out to the cafe with the lads and lasses.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have now read the first few chapters of David Millar's book and am enjoying it so I recommend you grab yourself a copy of the Kindle version while it is on special offer (see above).

Slaav

Veteran
I have now read the few chapters of David Millar's book and am enjoying it so I recommend you grab yourself a copy of the Kindle version while it is on special offer (see above).

Bought this on the recoimmendation at £1.49.
Now half way through (Bought on Wed - now Thurs) - OCD???

So far, seems actually quite an honest read. He seems to be happy to expose his own failings and personality issues/insecurites that appear to have caused him many issues throughout his earlier career. He certainly seems to be telling a true story without too much spin so far!

I am now getting ot the point of him havign met Sir DB proerply and heading down the Olympic route pre bust!!! But had to come to work.....

So far, agree 100% with COlin - a good read.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Does Riis admit everything? Or just **** about?
He's honest enough about his own use, says that he needed to do it as all the competition were, etc but the only names that come up in relation to others' doping are the ones in the public domain. He wasn't going to throw anyone under a bus unless there was a score to be settled, let's face it. Remorse? Nope. To him, the dope was just part of his training regime.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

He's honest enough about his own use, says that he needed to do it as all the competition were, etc but the only names that come up in relation to others' doping are the ones in the public domain. He wasn't going to throw anyone under a bus unless there was a score to be settled, let's face it. Remorse? Nope. To him, the dope was just part of his training regime.
Which seems to be the line taken, level playing field blah de blah de blah...which just adds to me thinking that any riders when he was DS are all doped. Sastre. Voight. I am looking at you.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Slaying the Badger: Lemond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour De France already mentioned, is one of the best non-fiction books I've read.

I just read it. It was good, and some very effective sections and a good structure, but it needed a proper editor on the job. There were several sentences repeated verbatim in different places and not for effect. It's not up to the standard of Kings of the Mountains, my absolute favourite non-fiction cycling book. But then Matt Rendell is a better writer than Richard Moore IMHO. I want to read Olympic Gangster now...

U

User169

I just read it. It was good, and some very effective sections and a good structure, but it needed a proper editor on the job. There were several sentences repeated verbatim in different places and not for effect. It's not up to the standard of Kings of the Mountains, my absolute favourite non-fiction cycling book. But then Matt Rendell is a better writer than Richard Moore IMHO. I want to read Olympic Gangster now...

Next on my list too!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
"Pedalare Pedalare" a history of Italian cycling by John Foot is, I think, the most enjoyable cycling book I've ever read. It's certainly the only one that I want to re-read, and I will - once I manage to get it back off the friend I leant it to!

beastie

Guru
Rendall brings knowledge and to the table. I enjoyed "The...Pantani" but it felt a bit heavy going. I much prefer Moore's style - a lot easier read.

J1780

Read the secret race (Tyler Hamilton) a few months back was not sre about giving Tyler some of my hard earned but I found it to be very good also read Seven deadly sins by David Walsh which is generally a rehash of from Lance to Landis and his reporting in general since he initially cried foul on one Lance Armstrong still I enjoyed reading it.

I am tempted by Sean Kellys book but wondering does he actually say anything he always held his cards close to his chest and I think he still does.

Top Bottom