Cycling Camaraderie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I find around 75% of others roadie's will typically give a response, usually a curt node or raise of the hand off the bars. I always give fair warning when approaching other roadie's from behind, unless on a hill when it's scalping time.:thumbsup:.

WorcesteRob

Über Member
Deffo bike snobbery round here, if I'm commuting on my odds and sods bike then everyone turns their head the other way, if I'm riding my roadie then 75% of the time I get a nod, maybe even a smile. The thing that really makes me smile is when passing a roadie with all the kit on when riding my single speed mtb odds and sods bike, they can't stand it.

I usually nod, wave or say hi but I think response is more to do with where you are and when you are travelling rather than bike. In the city and/or in rush hours folk hardly respond but out in the rural environment or on a leisurely ride more folk respond or make the first move regardless of what bike I or them are on. If there is no interaction however, its not worth bothering about perhaps they are too wrap up in their training program, navigation etc to notice the outside world but cest la vie I don't think anybody is deliberately elitist, if they are its their problem.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't see many other cyclists when I'm commuting, though I've started to see one or two now I'm back on a normal dayshift, but there are normally loads out in the lanes on a Sunday, theres not much greeting going on when commuting but a lot on a Sunday.

Rob500

I always give a quick nod or wave* to any cyclist I see. *(sometimes with hand still on hood). Whether they reciprocate or not is no big deal for me.
I'll give a thumbs up or wave back to car also if I feel they have allowed me that 'extra' bit of room etc. Also enjoyed getting a friendly beep-beep from a driver coming down a hill as I was going up the other side on Friday.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Two guys from Clitheroe Bike Club overtook me yesterday having their own private race and they didn't seem too thrilled when I jumped on their wheels for a couple of miles.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I normally nod, wave and greet fellow cyclist and runners don't always get a return.... Always put my hand up to cars/ lorries etc. that wait behind me and pass when it's safe to do so

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Try riding a road bike slowly round Richmond Park, London, wearing a pair of jeans. It's like an invisibility cloak to the hoards of on-coming athletes as they bomb past. They do look pretty miserable actually, so I don't blame them.

The older geezers are way more friendly. Thank-you to the guy who asked after my welfare yesterday at about 6:30 pm on top of the hill near Richmond Gate. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom