Cycling Camera use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
[QUOTE 4332463, member: 9609"]do any of these bike cams loop record like the dash cams do, ie, 3 or 5 min segments and overwrite the oldest?
I would quite like one that was attached to the bike, automatically switches itself on and off and maybe even powered by the bike. (i would just never rember to switch it on or off or charge up the batteries)[/QUOTE]

I take mine on and off but yes it does 3minute loops. Needs a lot of charging.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I take mine on and off but yes it does 3minute loops. Needs a lot of charging.

treat yourself to a back up battery, i have a usb cable connected from battery to camera when it is in use, I have yet to drain the back up battery. Estimated usage time with back up battery around 8+ hours.http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...up+battery.TRS0&_nkw=back+up+battery&_sacat=0
I charge the external battery maybe once every month or when the power indicator lights get down to only two lights.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

RedRider

Pulling through
Good for those who say a camera gives peace of mind but my own brain's not wired that way.
I never think today's ride might end with me mashed up by a car or whatever and I'm not going to press a button at the start of each journey with that in mind, let alone.charge up a battery the night before.. If anything that would disturb my sunny outlook.
As to the op and at the risk of stating the obvious there probably are subtle changes in behaviour due to filming and being filmed but whether these are positive or negative must depend on the individuals, each incident and a whole load of other stuff.
Each to their own but not for me.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I personally use a Sjcam M10+ on the rear and GoPro Hero4 session mounted on the bar - Ive just dug up my vented helmet strap so i guess i will be using the gopro mounted to my helmet for a bit. Ive seen a fair few cyclists around the Holborn and Finsbury park area zip past with one mounted the same way.

I can recommend the M10+ but be warned that if you use a garmin edge 'out-in-front' bar mount paired with the M10+ then the M10+ will mess with Garmin's GPS signal. Some gopro's do it too.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
[QUOTE 4332500, member: 9609"]what camera is it? quality seems quite good.[/QUOTE]

SJCam M10 - little boxy thing - came with all the kit but I bought an aluminium handlebar bracket for it which made it a lot less wobbly.

There is a drop in quality between what I see on computer & what ends up on YouTube but it is enough for my purposes.

I have not had any problem with Garmin interference with the M10 but this is not the M10+ Roubaix mentions above.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Have had a go pro sat in a cupboard for four years...stopped using it after about a year or two of recording.

Now just comes out for ski and family holidays

Each to their own but I found the footage too tempting to not watch after every ride. Especially if something small occurred. The problem for me was that this caused me to "hold on" to every issue, every conflict, every negative experience, rather than letting it go in the moment and in some way this stopped me enjoying the ride.

After a while the lack of incidents, or need for proof, was outweighed by the desire to just enjoy the ride.

If you can delete or move the footage as soon as you arrive and treat it purely as a flight recorder, then perhaps your experience will be different. However, if you find yourself reviewing the ride each time, looking for things you, or others did wrong then you may want to consider not bothering.

If it all goes wrong and I NEED evidence, I appreciate that my choice will cause regret but It is a choice I have weighed up... and now its made...i forget about it untill a post like this comes along.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you can delete or move the footage as soon as you arrive and treat it purely as a flight recorder, then perhaps your experience will be different. However, if you find yourself reviewing the ride each time, looking for things you, or others did wrong then you may want to consider not bothering.

Pretty much how i treat mine. Sometimes its nice to have a recording of epic or long rides though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Pretty much how i treat mine. Sometimes its nice to have a recording of epic or long rides though.
Funnily enough, long rides were probably another reason that I stopped using the go pro. Starting and stopping, plus not being able to review the footage (third gen gopro without a backpack) meant that I got better results from my hi def phone camera.
I feel like I should use the go pro as it cost so much to buy...but its just a bit of a faff.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Each to their own but I found the footage too tempting to not watch after every ride. Especially if something small occurred. The problem for me was that this caused me to "hold on" to every issue, every conflict, every negative experience, rather than letting it go in the moment and in some way this stopped me enjoying the ride.
For me, this. I want to ride, if I become obsessed with every infraction I face on a daily basis I fear I would lose sight of the bigger picture. A camera would make me obsess.

Purely seflishly, I'd like everyone else to get a camera though please :whistle:, if drivers start to assume they are being recorded anywhere near a bike.....

Slightly off topic @Arjimlad, HV06 WKB, has me thinking, I read cyclecraft ages ago but have misplaced it and can't recall the exact details of primary and secondary offhand. But on that width road I'd be further out from the edge to the point of being in the middle of the lane if I'm honest, I'm not going to give them a chance to do that to me, they either overtake as if I were a car or they stay behind (or they wipe me out totally....). Please don't misunderstand I'm not putting any of this on you, it might well be me being a self centred lane hog if I'm on a similar type of road.

cameras used by cyclists following an incident can inflame the situation and also escalate things very quickly, sometimes to the point of violence !
YES, nearly every video of angry confrontations is taken by a cyclist using a camera. So that proves that cameras cause anger.

</sarcasm>

I'm against them for reasons @jonny jeez cites, but I don't think we can say if they cause anger, because if a cyclist shouts without a camera, does he make a sound?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
For me, this. I want to ride, if I become obsessed with every infraction I face on a daily basis I fear I would lose sight of the bigger picture. A camera would make me obsess.

Purely seflishly, I'd like everyone else to get a camera though please :whistle:, if drivers start to assume they are being recorded anywhere near a bike.....

Slightly off topic @Arjimlad, HV06 WKB, has me thinking, I read cyclecraft ages ago but have misplaced it and can't recall the exact details of primary and secondary offhand. But on that width road I'd be further out from the edge to the point of being in the middle of the lane if I'm honest, I'm not going to give them a chance to do that to me, they either overtake as if I were a car or they stay behind (or they wipe me out totally....). Please don't misunderstand I'm not putting any of this on you, it might well be me being a self centred lane hog if I'm on a similar type of road.

I know what you mean and perhaps I should have been further out. It felt to me like the airhead driver of HV06 WKB would have walloped into me from behind if I had been further out. She was too busy chatting away to the other folks in the car & paying no attention to the road ahead as she mindlessly followed the car in front into the path of the oncoming BMW. She'd have had to brake very hard not to hit me up the bum as she was going a bit fast.

The Volvo which overtook just before her gave me plenty of space but caused the BMW to slow somewhat, the Renault really ballsed it up !

I do review dodgy moments after any ride where I remember one, generally though the recordings are all deleted.

Top Bottom