Cycling can be so dangerous!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The brother of a friend of my stepdaughter had a cycling accident yesterday. He slipped on some leaves and went head first into a wall. His helmet was completely smashed and he was rushed , by air ambulance to a hospital in Stoke on Trent. Bear in mind his accident happened in North Wales. He is now in intensive care with wires coming out of his head to check his brain activity.
Be careful people at this time of the year and the next few months, as cycling can indeed be very dangerous .

Drago

Legendary Member
Ouch! Still, as dangerous as it can sometimes be, climbing large chimneys while drunk and shirtless on a freezing night currently has a much, much higher mortality rate.

On a more serious note, one of my neighbours is about 60, so not a great deal,older than me. He's currently in Stoke Mandeville in an artificial coma with serious head and spinal injuries after taking a bad fall while indulging in that daredevil pastime known as taking a shower at home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was in hospital with a broken spine because a car hit me, the guy opposite, more serious break, only tripped and fell back on a stair (not all the way down). He's since had rods in his back as the vertebrae collapsed a year later. Mine has been fine.

Shoot happens. I now ride MTB on permanent 'slippy stuff'. I may fall off regular.

Take care all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't mention conkers either.... slippy.

johnnyb47

Guru
Oh good grief, i hope he makes a full recovery. That sounds truly awful.
This time of the year i pick and choose my night ride routes very carefully avoiding busy and poorly maintained roads. Even with the best lighting you can miss nasty potholes in the dark. Rides this time of year do become repetitive in the dark, but on the plus side i tend to built up a mental image of were the roads are at their worst along the way

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There's nothing dangerous about cycling.
A person could just as easily slip and break a bone/other injury through walking running, running etc etc. Indeed, sitting on one's arse watching eastenders/or some other crap whilst stuffing one's face with a 12" pepperoni pizza (like I did last night) is far more dangerous to one's health.

classic33

Leg End Member
A person could just as easily slip and break a bone/other injury through walking running, running etc etc. Indeed, sitting on one's arse watching eastenders/or some other crap whilst stuffing one's face with a 12" pepperoni pizza (like I did last night) is far more dangerous to one's health.
In one bite!!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Novices at speed can put themselves at risk of encountering solid vertical objects. Such collisions can be unforgiving. Most people have a few lucky escapes and learn from them. A few are not so lucky.

Top Bottom