Cycling can be so dangerous!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
The older you get , the more you know the vulnerability of the human body , its not making you afraid or "losing it", its a caution blended with wisdom . I descend ( almost) as fast as I used to, but ….

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have a blacklist of roads I avoid at this time of years, anywhere leaves lie I avoid like the plague. That's one of the reasons I hate autumn.

I'm very wary of leaves, especially on relatively narrow road tyres. Very dodgy, not to mention the leaves can hide a slotted drain cover which will swallow a road wheel. Much prefer riding on 26" MTB knobbly tyres as they seem to cope better, and wide enough to stay out of most drains, but still keep my speed right down and avoid using the brakes as much as possible. Doesn't take much braking or steering movement to provoke a slide. Nice time of year to ride so long as it's dry though; being able to go out without getting sunburnt or all hot and sweaty.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Diesel is as big a danger as leaves.

Like any hazard, the danger is minimised if you ride according to the conditions. You'll more likely find diesel on bends where vehicles brake than you will on a straight flat stretch of road. The trouble is there are a lot of kamikaze merchants on two wheels who go as fast as they can all the time with no thought about their ability to steer or slow down without losing control. Road cyclists are probably worse than motorcyclists in this respect. I see loads of idiots dressed up in all the gear tearing around flat out who are going to have a really nasty high speed accident if they hit anything slippery.

hoopdriver

Guru
And let’s not forget our old friend black ice and nearly invisible frost patches on bitumen - as my right shoulder still reminds me on rainy days and whenever a change in weather is in the air.

Milzy

Guru
Zwift, Sufferfest & more Zwift. It’s dangerous enough in the height of Summer. Sounds like the lid saved his life.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The only times I've come off the bike through slippage has been either during mountain biking where accidents are to be expected or when doing something completely bloody stupid...like braking on a corner on wet leaves. That happened a grand total of once, from which I learned my error.
If someone can't ride a bike without causing themselves serious harm through their own actions, they shouldn't be on a bike.

hoopdriver

Guru
The only times I've come off the bike through slippage has been either during mountain biking where accidents are to be expected or when doing something completely bloody stupid...like braking on a corner on wet leaves. That happened a grand total of once, from which I learned my error.
If someone can't ride a bike without causing themselves serious harm through their own actions, they shouldn't be on a bike.
THat's a bit harsh. Anybody can have a lapse.

Top Bottom