Cycling can be so dangerous!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Yebbut, crashing into a wall? :eek: That takes some doing.
Not really, if the wall's on a curve and your mind is somewhere else...it can happen to anybody.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's nothing dangerous about cycling.
A person could just as easily slip and break a bone/other injury through walking running, running etc etc. Indeed, sitting on one's arse watching eastenders/or some other crap whilst stuffing one's face with a 12" pepperoni pizza (like I did last night) is far more dangerous to one's health.
Indeed. 59 deaths per billion journey miles from walking, only 53 from cycling - it's an inherently safe activity.

Every good driver (not many of them about!) knows that a change in colour or texture indicates a change in grip, yet very few cyclists seem to understand this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On bike tyres your margin for error is terribly slim and it only takes a small change in the physics to turn a routine manoeuvre into a disaster. Like many others posting on this thread I know this only too well; mine was taking a dogleg corner at speed on a wet road, same as I had done before, but realising there was a car in the road and I couldn't straighten out the bend so would have to steer wide to avoid it. Bang.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The only times I've come off the bike through slippage has been either during mountain biking where accidents are to be expected or when doing something completely bloody stupid...like braking on a corner on wet leaves. That happened a grand total of once, from which I learned my error.
If someone can't ride a bike without causing themselves serious harm through their own actions, they shouldn't be on a bike.
You mean like you? 🤔

My crashes happen when mistakes or conditions start to stack up and the total exceeds my traction. I figure it usually takes about three negative conditions for me to crash on my own. Eg wet leaves, slick road, negative camber.

Some interesting comments! I always wonder what has led up to it, when someone tells me about an ‘unavoidable accident’! You tube is an unparalleled source of entertainment for this. I was recently criticised on another forum for being unsympathetic, and worse, when a cyclist hit a pothole and fell in front of a car. When I commented that it wold be wise to look where you’re going I was told ‘you can’t be looking at the road in front of you all the time! 😱 My question would be ‘why not’?

vickster

Legendary Member
Some interesting comments! I always wonder what has led up to it, when someone tells me about an ‘unavoidable accident’! You tube is an unparalleled source of entertainment for this. I was recently criticised on another forum for being unsympathetic, and worse, when a cyclist hit a pothole and fell in front of a car. When I commented that it wold be wise to look where you’re going I was told ‘you can’t be looking at the road in front of you all the time! 😱 My question would be ‘why not’?
In traffic, it can be very difficult to see potholes, leaves, other road level hazards like drains with plenty of warning as well as being alert to car drivers, scooter riders, peds. Etc. This can be even worse in the dark and/or bad weather.
Many of us don't have the luxury of cycling on quiet country roads

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
In traffic, it can be very difficult to see potholes, leaves, other road level hazards like drains with plenty of warning as well as being alert to car drivers, pads. Etc. This can be even worse in the dark and/or bad weather

Imagine a driver saying that after hitting a cyclist.
You can bet there would be hordes of cyclists saying that he/she should have been driving according to the conditions. Slow down, leave a safe gap, be on guard etc etc.
Same rules apply to us lot too.

The brother of a friend of my stepdaughter had a cycling accident yesterday. He slipped on some leaves and went head first into a wall. His helmet was completely smashed and he was rushed , by air ambulance to a hospital in Stoke on Trent. Bear in mind his accident happened in North Wales. He is now in intensive care with wires coming out of his head to check his brain activity.
Be careful people at this time of the year and the next few months, as cycling can indeed be very dangerous .
Yep, I 100 percent agree. This next couple of months are extra risky. It’s not just on the cyclist’s shoulders either. Drivers, and ped’s, and ped’s with dogs, also take time to adjust to the changing conditions ( regarding both surface, and lighting ). I regularly have issues with motorists overshooting junctions, not being able to judge my speeds accurately, slipping / skidding on leaves / ice, that they didn’t spot. Riding regularly at this time of year, has extra challenges galore. Take more time, adjust your riding ( braking, steering lighting) and be aware that if you have to stop for any length of time ( due to punctures / mechanicals for example ) or if you do come a cropper, you’ll get cold, pretty quickly, so layer up with your clothing, accordingly. Layer up considering how cold it will get, and remember you can always shed a layer ( warmers and bits ) if you get too warm, but not having them available, should you need them, can cause issues. Ride safe, try and enjoy the extra things that happen more, at this time of year.

Top Bottom