Cycling code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
As others have said - just common humanity, doesnt matter whether the one in trouble is cyclist, ped, motorcyclist or car driver. I've stopped a group ride before now to assist the driver of a BMW who had grounded himself on a lumpy verge!

byegad

Legendary Member
You're right in that's how it should be - if I see a fellow cyclist by the side of the road I'll stop to see if I can help in anyway, unless there's already someone else helping.

+1 I always offer help and on the one occasion I came across an altercation between a cyclist and driver I stopped and observed the row. Also almost every cyclist who passes me when I'm stopped by the side of the road, something I do quite often to do a spot of birding, will ask if I'm OK.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nothing to do with being a 'commuter or a cyclist' scenario.
It's just one of those odd things that happen.
I'm a commuter and would have definitely stopped if I had seen an accident like you had.
+1
Sorry to hear about your collision , sounds like the motorbiker was a turd both for overtaking in an un safe way then trying the blame game to pass the buck .The other cyclists in a perfect world should have stopped but the world has plenty of" me me me" people .On my commute i see a guy who works as the same place as me ( out of 4000 ish ) and he has asked me to keep an eye out for him as hes diabetic so if i see him quivering in a heap ............

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I am a first aid'r at work and apart from a small pack of tools I also carry a first aid kit in my sadlle bag as a matter of course. I have had to patch myself up a few times with scrapes I have had in the past. As a human being I would stop and help anyone if I could be of assistance especially the cycling brethren :hello:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Maybe Bromley has something to do with it ?

Very poor show eonmac. Good that your still alive. Maybe its me though if I ever see a accident I always stop to give evidence phone no# ect unless I see a crowd of people already in attendance.

Only tonight I seen a cyclist at the side of the road playing with his chain and I asked if he was OK

lukesdad

Very poor show eonmac. Good that your still alive. Maybe its me though if I ever see a accident I always stop to give evidence phone no# ect unless I see a crowd of people already in attendance.

Only tonight I seen a cyclist at the side of the road playing with his chain and I asked if he was OK
Ah thats what they call it now ! Playing with yer chain, ^_^

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!

I commute from Beckenham. I had the misfortune to have a p***ture on the way home one evening just as it was getting dark. I was in the back streets of Peckham (bandit country).

I had been faffing about for about 10 minutes when a WVM stopped and handed me a torch. "Can't stop mate but that might help. Keep it!"

later on two cyclists stopped to help me pump up the repair because my own pump wasn't working properly.

I think you have just been unlucky.

Try thinking in terms of 'things can only get better'

Good luck

Trouble is that people are insulated from their surroundings and each other when in cars.

A couple of weeks ago I came across an eldery couple whose car had broken down on a junction.

Lots of tooting, swearing and shaking of fists, but no-one stopped. It ended up with three cyclists pushing the car to a safe place!

The other point is that these days things can backfire.

I always stop, even if only to ask if they have everything they need and assist if I can.

However a couple of years ago I came across a couple of kids, one of whom had a trashed dérailleur.

They lived a fair way off, so I removed the dérailleur, shortened the chain to a single speed to get them home and let them use my mobile to inform parents of the delay. Put all the bits in a bag

Following day I got a call demanding my details as I had "wrecked" his son's bike by taking bits off it!

Luckily local bike shop supported me and told the guy in no uncertain terms that nothing I had done was contributory to the repair bill.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Not surprised. Got on a packed tube about 6 years ago and politely said "hiya everyone" - just got completely ignored. If you get ignored with everyone in such a confined space and close proximity, you've no chance when they're all zipping along on pushbikes. Get well soon and move up north.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom