Cycling, commuting, and keeping fit - what's wrong with this idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The only point of this idea is to generate publicity for their bricks and mortar gym.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've registered to be "first in line for (no doubt expensive) tickets". Postcode submitted too, to help them "plan routes". Let's see how helpful an Ayrshire postcode is.
As the comments say, this is such a stupid idea on so many levels. Another dent in my faith in the human race.

Firestorm

Veteran
If you are commuting , say , 40 miles, to work each way its too far to cycle realistically, for most. I suppose the idea of getting an hours exercise each way without effectively taking any additional time out of your day certainly would appeal to some.
I can just about squeeze 30 minutes exercise in my lunch break and struggle to fit anything additional in , leaving home at 6.15 and getting back at 7.30 so the idea certainly appeals, except I use the train , and the cost of the bus is rather high.
South of the River into London , pariculary the East of the city , is often quicker and cheaper by bus /coach. Its just a lot less flexible as the service outside the core rush hour tends to prevent any later working, particularly those who finish at 5.30.
Market the idea as " exercise while you commute", as opposed to the mirth inducing " cycle to work on a bus" strapline and does seem more sensible

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
688946d1334430602-chinese-carbon-parts-129179935564199718.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you are commuting , say , 40 miles, to work each way its too far to cycle realistically, for most. I suppose the idea of getting an hours exercise each way without effectively taking any additional time out of your day certainly would appeal to some.
There might be a market for that. But as it stands according to their website there are only 4 pick-up/drop-off points and they all look to be in central London anyway! So what would be the point in getting on an exercise bike bus for such a short stretch (although in London that short stretch in a bus could take a long time!)? It's going to be of no use to any commuters, bar a handful who might find the very restrictive route useful - and I suspect they might prefer to just use a REAL bike anyway.

Firestorm

Veteran
There might be a market for that. But as it stands according to their website there are only 4 pick-up/drop-off points and they all look to be in central London anyway! So what would be the point in getting on an exercise bike bus for such a short stretch (although in London that short stretch in a bus could take a long time!)? It's going to be of no use to any commuters, bar a handful who might find the very restrictive route useful - and I suspect they might prefer to just use a REAL bike anyway.
Certainly those pick up points will not be for those who wish to exercise mornibng and evening but are unable to ride to work.
Pick up for an hour , 90 minute coach journey from , say Gillingham or Southend , may be attractive, but 15 people on a coach, compared to 50 is going to really put the prices up to be cost effective for the coach company.

The idea sound feasible, but I imagine the costings would be prohibitive for a mass take up.
Trains cost about 60-70 a week and offer a fairly consistent journey time throughout the morning /evening peak. Which allows flexibility for working. A fitness coach would add to the cost and fix the travel times far more rigidly

Top Bottom