Cycling death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, the report doesn't say 'head on' does it... Starts to look like another blind spot tragedy... But still not enough to go on yet.

Cab

Really not enough information here for us to say what happened. As ever, when this kind of tragedy happens, we can all immediately share a sense of horror an regret, and extend our sympathy to the loved ones of the deceased. But at present thats all we can do.

yenrod

Tynan – if I rode with the ideaology that cyclists have THE god given right on the road I wouldn’t be here now !

Arch you musnt have much of a pleasureable life if your are ‘consistantly going to niggle at you for it.’

Either way Arch – we’re all cyclists, we know the deal.

Having risked death and serious injury (none being my fault) & been hit by cars many over a 17yr + time period I know my feelings towards car drivers.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
yenrod said:
Having risked death and serious injury (none being my fault) & been hit by cars many over a 17yr + time period I know my feelings towards car drivers.
Glad to see you approach life and cycling with an open mind. Tar all the cagers with the same brush, that'll help. No, really.

Muppet.

Completely agree with Arch, until we know the facts it's best not to take sides (as it were). Although I am more inclined to believe it's the car driver at fault (as it does sound pretty strange for a cyclist to just crash head-on) it's not inconceivable for it to be purely the cyclist - they could also have been going too fast down a hill without adequate brakes and just hit a stationary car...

Every time there's any sort of incident between a car and a bike, there are some on this forum, just as on C+ before it, who instantly react '2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad' before they know the facts, or even regardless of the facts.

This Commuting section is in danger of becoming home to a narrow-minded angry anti-car lynchmob.

Buffalo Bill

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Glad to see you approach life and cycling with an open mind. Tar all the cagers with the same brush, that'll help. No, really.

Muppet.

Completely agree with Arch, until we know the facts it's best not to take sides (as it were). Although I am more inclined to believe it's the car driver at fault (as it does sound pretty strange for a cyclist to just crash head-on) it's not inconceivable for it to be purely the cyclist - they could also have been going too fast down a hill without adequate brakes and just hit a stationary car...

From the latest reports, the other vehicle was a lorry, not a car, and the lorry was apparently making a turn. The first report here was (as has been stated) based on an incorrect local radio report.

The trouble out there is quite a few motorists don't give their driving one hundred per cent concentration.I watch them all the time and they think they can drive while yapping into a mobile phone.HALF OF YOU (MOTORISTS) HAVEN'T THE BRAINS TO CROSS THE ROAD IN THE CORRECT PLACE LET ALONE USE A MOBILE WHILE DRIVING.:tongue:

Cab

Terminator said:
The trouble out there is quite a few motorists don't give their driving one hundred per cent concentration.I watch them all the time and they think they can drive while yapping into a mobile phone.HALF OF YOU (MOTORISTS) HAVEN'T THE BRAINS TO CROSS THE ROAD IN THE CORRECT PLACE LET ALONE USE A MOBILE WHILE DRIVING.:tongue:

Passed no less than three texting cyclists this morning. Ain't just the drivers who are idiots.

Edit: Thats equivalent to the number of texting riders I usually pass in a whole week, so there must be some important stuff going down in txt spk lnd.

Arch said:
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply you'd got it wrong, I worded that badly.

But it does go to show that it can take a while for the right information to come though...

Didn't take it as an implication Arch :ohmy: Only interest is in trying to inject as much accuracy as poss. otherwise people get the wrong ends of their sticks and 'off we go' again...:tongue: Then others pile in and the victim is sidelined in favour of a pithy debate.
Do your best everyone - it's Friday, and many people on four wheels will be phoning, satnavving, singing, christmaslisting, partythinking and...:tongue:

Thats up to cyclists.If they want to kill themselves then I have no problem with that although personally I never use the phone while cycling.I do hate falling off and I find I need one hundred per cent concentration for the general morons out there.

Sorry did I go into one again?

I haven't even had any booze.:tongue:

Do your best everyone - it's Friday, and many people on four wheels will be phoning, satnavving, singing, christmaslisting, partythinking and...:tongue:

That is no doubt.

Terminator said:

Why would motorists be crossing the road ?

Is this rant also against pedestrians ?