Cycling death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Lorry fitted with all round mirrors? It would be a good idea, but there will still be blind spots. And even if the lorry did have all round mirrors, would she have been seen?
If the cyclist went down the left side of the lorry, and the driver didnt see her then its partly the cyclists fault for going down the left.
And you realise if the lorry driver didnt see her and hit her, then he probably didnt feel it or know about it until she was on the floor and in his view from the mirrors.
Some of the drivers from over seas with left hand drives have fitted cameras in the stairs going to the cab on the far side of the truck, so they can see down the side of the truck, and have less blind spots. But this costs abit and with most motors on hire, some companies cant be botherd to have them fiftted, because it isnt a requirement, yet.

U

User169

Arch said:
As far as I can see, we don't even know this was a blind spot incident, although that is probably our first reaction, based on what we all know about mixing big lorries and bikes.

My first reaction would be that this has nothing whatsover to do with blindspots. In the two cases I have followed most closely (Seb Lukomski and Emma Foa - both killed by left-turning lorries), it was established in court that they were not in a blind-spot; they would both have been seen had the driver taken the time to look.

As you say, we don't know the full facts regarding this latest death, but I would be very surprised if it had anything at all to do with blind-spots.

U

User169

Joe24 said:
If the cyclist went down the left side of the lorry, and the driver didnt see her then its partly the cyclists fault for going down the left.

Rather depends on whether or not the lorry driver bothered to look.

Sorry to bang on about this, but in Seb Lukomski's case and in Emma Foa's case, it was established in court that the lorry driver that killed them would have seen them had he looked in his mirror. I fail to see how this could be deemed to be the fault of the cyclist.

Sadly, in both cases, the courts didn't seem to find their deaths an especially serious matter.

yenrod

One thing that interests me is this: not so long back there was a big moan from the cardrivers about the fact that in certain countries if a cyclist gets hit then the car driver assumes resposibility - wonder why that is (for all you stupid people out there) = the car/s-truck/s etc... are BIGGER BTW a m.bike can travel faster so i dont know where that lies I dont know ?

So, its only logical that the car driver assumes responsibility as they are:

1 - not excerting oneself, increased attention,

2 - sitting, not exerting themselves and technically not speeding,

3 - the car weighs far more than a cycle and cyclist,

I've put this together as things are very pedantic on here !

If a car hits me, as they have in the past, they hurt !

If I hit a car - it doesnt hurt the occupants or the car - the car doesnt feel pain !

So, why has the general viewpoint on here been: 'well lets wait for the outcome'.

Everyone on here bleats constantly about not having/getting enough room, no respect, getting pushed on the bike, near-misses, pullouts, abuse...

AND YET WHEN A CYCLIST GETS KILLED - most of you say 'well, lets wait for the outcome'

;)

Maz

Guru
Delftse Post said:
...in Seb Lukomski's case and in Emma Foa's case, it was established in court that the lorry driver that killed them would have seen them had he looked in his mirror. I fail to see how this could be deemed to be the fault of the cyclist...
In the case of Emma Foa (I don't know about the other one) she was to the left of the lorry - clearly a very dangerous place to be. Was it ever determined if she was there first and the lorry pulled up along side her, or was it the other way around?

Tynan

Veteran
truck passing a bike and turning left, yeah their fault of cause

bike running up the inside of a truck as it slows to turn left? bike's fault

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Accident's happen..........

People don't look

People make mistakes

Some folk die - shame .... that's life.....

Don't go too far you lot ... 6 pages...FFS !

U

User169

Maz said:
In the case of Emma Foa (I don't know about the other one) she was to the left of the lorry - clearly a very dangerous place to be. Was it ever determined if she was there first and the lorry pulled up along side her, or was it the other way around?

I haven't seen it reported which of Emma Foa and the lorry were there first. In the circumstances, however, I think this is a red-herring since she was along-side the lorry for 40 seconds. Had the driver looked just once during that time he's have sen her.

Tynan

Veteran
if she was alongside a long high sided vehicle for 40 seconds and approaching a junction to boot ...

cars and especially longer vehicles have a blind spot and other road users should know that

MarkF

Guru
You can't pre-judge!;)

Earlier in the week a cyclist overtook me going downhill towards a intersection, rush hour. You can (if you want) make quick speed here because as soon as you go though the lights there is a very steep incline. He shot passed me on the inside of the slow moving line of cars, I cringed.

Yep, as soon as he was parallel with a car at the junction and still gaining speed, the car decided to turn left, no indictation. Cue, squeal of brakes, locked tyres and a "thud" as the rider hit the rear door/wing. Yep again, the driver and cylcist immediately blamed each other, frankly I did not give a shoot about either of them.

The crossroads in question is less than half a mile from my front door. I saw the traffic come to a halt and a helicopter hovering overhead - to be honest I thought it might be a prison breakout.

The crossroads is broad - with three lanes on the A23 in each direction, two westward lanes on the South Circular and three eastward lanes. There are right turn intervals in the traffic light sequence. It's poorly lit. There's generally a bit of an overrun, where vehicles that have queued go over the amber light and have to contend with traffic coming off the new green.

I give it a miss - there's an alternative route down New Park Road, but this is a very popular route for commuting cyclists. The point I'd like to make is this - there are at least half a dozen ways to come to grief at this particular junction - and it ill behoves us to rush to judgement. I do think, however, that drivers have to take responsibility for the weight that they're piloting - just as cyclists have to take responsibility for their own kinetic energy when cycling near pedestrians.