Cycling death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Terminator said:
Thats up to cyclists.If they want to kill themselves then I have no problem with that although personally I never use the phone while cycling.I do hate falling off and I find I need one hundred per cent concentration for the general morons out there.

You've clearly never had to take evasive action when a hoarde of idiot cyclists on the wrong side of the road head right at you, some texting, some just hollering at each other. Its not just up to the cyclist, we've got a responsibility not to endanger others too. Even just the way they swerve around when texting, its insane.

Cab said:
You've clearly never had to take evasive action when a hoarde of idiot cyclists on the wrong side of the road head right at you, some texting, some just hollering at each other. Its not just up to the cyclist, we've got a responsibility not to endanger others too. Even just the way they swerve around when texting, its insane.

You don't know me arch you just make assumptions.

I've had texting or mobile phone using cyclists yes.Just think they are idiots.

I tell you what I bloody hate mobile phones though.:tongue:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bit OTT there yenrod, even when you bear in mind that you have a roughly 4 in 5 chance of being right. Only 17% of cyclist/motor vehicle collisions are the fault of the cyclist.

Arch

Married to Night Train
andy_wrx said:
Why would motorists be crossing the road ?

Nah, it's funnier with a chicken...

Walking home the other night, I spotted two mobile using drivers in a traffic queue. They no doubt thought it was fine, as they were stationary. I noticed that each one had a longer than normal gap in front of them (so not up bumper to bumper) and wondered if they'd left that deliberately for some dubuious safety reason, or whether the traffic in front had edged forward and they were too wrapped up to do the same.

I wish now I'd gone and banged on their windows, but I was in my fleece and think it would have been more effective if I'd been in my Polite jacket.

col

Legendary Member
Im always seeing drivers on phones going round roundabouts ,pulling out of junctions,ect,unbelievable.

yenrod

Im not of the opinion that the cyclist was in the wrong – much the BLEEDING obvious !

BentMikey said:
Bit OTT there yenrod, even when you bear in mind that you have a roughly 4 in 5 chance of being right. Only 17% of cyclist/motor vehicle collisions are the fault of the cyclist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, but you shouldn't be jumping to the conclusions you are, when there is still a small chance of the cyclist being to blame. Each situation should be judged on its own, because the driver isn't always to blame.

cupoftea

It sounds like a left turning lorry situation, and some people will say it's her fault because she shouldn’t have been on the left, even if there was a cycle lane.

I don't know, I just feel that there is a greater responsibility with the person driving 40ton's of killing machine rather than some poor person on a bike, or a ped.

The story of that lorry driver who was fined £300 for not paying attention when he drove over that woman just sickens me. It’s feels that you can get away with murder as long as you drive.

col

Legendary Member
cupoftea said:
It sounds like a left turning lorry situation, and some people will say it's her fault because she shouldn’t have been on the left, even if there was a cycle lane.

I don't know, I just feel that there is a greater responsibility with the person driving 40ton's of killing machine rather than some poor person on a bike, or a ped.

The story of that lorry driver who was fined £300 for not paying attention when he drove over that woman just sickens me. It’s feels that you can get away with murder as long as you drive.

Its not murder,its an accident,they happen,mores the pity,but we cant lay blame until the facts are available.

cupoftea

When is an accident avoidable? - Always

Who should do the “avoiding”? – Everyone

When does an accident stop being an accident and just become careless?

When does careless become negligent?

Would people drive the way they do if there was a 6” nail sticking out of there steering wheel?

Would drivers pay more attention if they had there hands cut off it they were done for speeding etc as they used to do in Somalia?

I know its extreme but the reason why most accidents are caused by motorists is that they don’t pay attention, and cyclists are scared regularly into paying attention.

Fear is nature’s way of making you concentrate.

col

Legendary Member
I do agree with you,but alas,this is reality,and accidents are part of it,even if it neednt happen,it does,and always will.There is nothing thats going to stop these happening,all we can do,is try to make sure its not us that makes that fatal mistake.

cupoftea

Maybe if the lorry had been fitted with all round mirrors he would have seen her. The gov vetoed this part of the euro transport laws

I don't know, but something should be done

I feel for her family and friends, my thoughts this weekend are with them

Arch

Married to Night Train
As far as I can see, we don't even know this was a blind spot incident, although that is probably our first reaction, based on what we all know about mixing big lorries and bikes.

I can certainly say, I've seen people on bikes riding in a way that I would have said they were very much to blame if they'd got squished. Cyclists are capable of 'careless' and 'negligent', like everyone else.

Obviously, I've also seen people drive recklessly. I do also believe that 'accidents' can happen. They shouldn't, in an ideal world, but we don't live in one of those. Yes, maybe if the lorry had had more mirrors (and we don't know how many it didi have), the incident might have been averted, but we also don't know that yet...