Cycling down dual carriageways/motorways

Do you cycle on dual carriageways?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Our local dual carriageway (Burdock Way) is quite short but during rush it can be quite manic and the roundabout at the end of it is a cyclists nightmare.
Is that on the two, three, four or five lane section?

die_aufopferung

I do a couple of miles on a dual carriageway as part of my commute and have ridden on a lot of them over the years. I personally would say they're safer than cycling on most country B roads - in both cases cars are traveling at 60mph+ but DCs have wider lanes, better visibility, few blind corners, easier overtaking for motorists, and no random driveways/minor roads with blind entrances for people to come out of suddenly.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i drove down part of the A1 while some were having a time trial on it . as far as i could see there were no warning signs and as the lorries were changing lanes all of a sudden with very little notice it came across to me as dangerous to everybody involved - just my opinion and people will say it is safer than some minor roads but by the sea of red lights in front all of a sudden i dont think it done anything to help cycle / motorists relations - and i really enjoy cycling but can't say i would do that route just for a pb when there must be quieter roads nearby

Venod

Eh up
i drove down part of the A1 while some were having a time trial on it

The O25/2 course from Blyth on the A1(Nottinghamshire) was very popular.
In one event i rode, a team mate ran straight into the back of a broken down car :eek: I think it was the only time I beat him.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to TT on them alot. A556 from Tabley near Northwich (would avoid now), A55 near Chester (again would avoid now), and even the A1 once.

As like others, some are worse than others. The Rainhill bypass is a regular D course for 10 mile TT's and that's quiet (or was).

I also commuted down part of the A34 to and from work, going into Manchester, but again, certain parts are better than others, and it's a 40 limit.

D

Deleted member 1258

Round here they used to time trial on the Warwick bypass, A46, they stopped it some time ago, these days its very much like a motorway and personally I wouldn't ride it, though I have in the past, there's a lot of nice routes heading in that direction and there's no need to use it. As others have said it depends on the road, some I will, some I wont.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the route involves a dual carriageway I'll ride it, even on the trike. :becool:

Depends on the DC

For instance the A61 between Sheffield & Chesterfield...Long, straight, downhill - you can be driving at 70 and a car that is a way behind when you glance in your mirror can be up your arse a few seconds later doing >100. Looking at their phone.

No, ta! I *should* be able to ride it safely but not interested in martyring myself for the cause.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I do a couple of miles on a dual carriageway as part of my commute and have ridden on a lot of them over the years. I personally would say they're safer than cycling on most country B roads - in both cases cars are traveling at 60mph+ but DCs have wider lanes, better visibility, few blind corners, easier overtaking for motorists, and no random driveways/minor roads with blind entrances for people to come out of suddenly.
Yep, I reckon you're right there on all counts.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As some have said, there are DC's which are ok, but others bordering on suicidal.
The A9 near Dunblane is one I would NEVER cycle. Motorway in all but classification with a lot of heavy fast moving traffic on 2 lanes in each direction. Lanes are quite narrow with no verge.
The only fatal traffic accident I attended during my Police service involved a cyclist being hit from behind on a 70 mph limit stretch of the A8 dual carriageway in Port Glasgow, during a time trial complete with signs, marshals etc.. Not a nice sight. The low evening sun was the drivers defence, but IIRC he was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and served a custodial sentence.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Yes, but not on roads with speed limits over 40 mph without a cycle lane, unless it's quiet, eg Sunday mornings. Even last Sunday morning on the A 57, I was passed by a lorry that gave me a serious wobble.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Yes, I've raced a few times on the spine road. It's a terrifying thing to contemplate, but once you're on the bike it tends to be fine. At least you've not got the risk of a head-on collision with an overtaking driver on the opposite carriageway, like you have on sporting courses.

Top Bottom