Cycling down dual carriageways/motorways

Do you cycle on dual carriageways?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add that I have ridden a lot of time trials on dc roads.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It depends - within half a mile of home I've got a full on grade separated 70mph dual carriageway that I wouldn't personally venture on (although I do see cyclists using it regularly, as is their right), but there is also a 30mph dual carriageway through a residential area, that only really has light traffic on half of it as it doesn't go anywhere - it was intended to connect to the A58 but that never happened so the lower half is only used by people who live there (although you can use it to get onto the Wyke Beck Way).

And there was a spate a month or two ago of seeing people cycling on the A58(M) / A64(M) Leeds Inner Ring Road - and if you live in the area you'll know how close to madness that is...

gbb

Legendary Member
Peterborough is circled by lovely dual carriageways, a nice 25 mile circuit with for the most part a wide hard shoulder (which can be dirty tbf). I used to ride it regularly...but...its got busier and busier and that leaves you crossing the lengthy exits, watching for 60/70/80 mph cars exiting while you're in no mans land...and its not comfortable doing it nowadays.
One guy killed some years ago near Thorpe Wood, by a high speed car exiting from the outside lane...and an ex colleagues son crippled after being knocked off his bike near Woodston/Ortons.
Nah, you (I) dont need that increased risk with high speed cars.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its all a question of how wide the lanes are.
I quite happily ride some dual carriageways with nice wide lanes but find some of the rural B roads with one narrow lane each way can be a nightmare.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
To be honest, one of the worst dual carriageways I've seen in the A43 around Towcester and Silverstone. It was remodeled not that many years ago for the Grand Prix traffic and the cycling provision they've put in looks scary even from the car - no way would I fancy riding that on the bike.
I had to drive it in both directions a few times for work a couple of months ago and I only saw one cyclist on the whole stretch it in all that time

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'd love to just for the "craic" http://www.pathetic.org.uk/current/a8m/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be honest, one of the worst dual carriageways I've seen in the A43 around Towcester and Silverstone. It was remodeled not that many years ago for the Grand Prix traffic and the cycling provision they've put in looks scary even from the car - no way would I fancy riding that on the bike.
I had to drive it in both directions a few times for work a couple of months ago and I only saw one cyclist on the whole stretch it in all that time
Yeah, it's pointless. Silverstone to Towcester can be done as quickly on the A413 and Wood Burcote road, I think, while Towcester to Brackley is no longer and I think slightly flatter via Helmdon. It would have been much better if they'd put a good cycleway between Silverstone and Syresham and not bothered putting that rubbish on the other 9 miles.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I will cycle on a dc if there is no alternative. I wouldn't choose to if there is an alternative. I crashed on one near Liverpool once and I am glad to this day that there were no cars passing when I hit the raised curb just over the crest of the hill as I would have been dead.

Top Bottom