Cycling down dual carriageways/motorways

Do you cycle on dual carriageways?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I occasionally, or most days really, see cyclists on the Keynsham by-pass on the A4 on days I need to take a motorised vehicle to work. I think they are a bit nuts, but that's just me.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Bits of the A38 South of Gloucester are dual carriageway, but I have never had any problems as there is a widish hard shoulder to ride on...... but the Quedgeley By-Pass part is a different matter. Not too keen riding through Quedgeley either, but the alternative is to stay on the A38 Northbound at a point where the vast majority of traffic is still accelerating away from the last roundabout. There is a big, wide slip road into Quedgeley that about half the traffic takes at speed. I saw someone cycle on across the exit yesterday and nearly get swiped off his bike. Too much like Russian Roulette for my liking. Fast slips roads are probably the biggest issue I have with dual carriageways.

Glenn

Veteran
I past a couple yesterday cycling up to Okehampton on the A30 from Exeter, most traffic was doing bewteen 60 - 70mph, I don't think that would have been my choice of route

Sharky

Guru
A few years ago, well 50+ years ago, a former club mate and very good rider, apparently rode on a motorway (M6). The story was that he had been to a race with the bike on top and had broken down on the M6. So in the days before mobiles, you had to walk to the next emergency phone and having his bike with him, he took it down and cycled towards the emergency phone. But ... I think he was stopped by the police, but his plea was that it was illegal to walk on a motorway, so wasn't any more illegal to cycling on a motorway.

I think I've got the facts right, but I know my old club mate is still around, so if you recognise this little story, hope I haven't offended and you can put me straight.

Cheers

doog

I past a couple yesterday cycling up to Okehampton on the A30 from Exeter, most traffic was doing bewteen 60 - 70mph, I don't think that would have been my choice of route

but its their damned forsaken right to do so :evil:....the A30 is simply a stroll in the park according to some...

(btw Im with you on that....complete madness )

Top Bottom