Cycling equipment storage on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
2 spare inner tubes, puncture patches, cable ties, multi tool, 11 13 15 mm spanners, mini pliers, chain tool, front and rear lights, top bar bag (my ‘toolbox’), handlebar phone bag holder thingy for phone, power bank and cable, D lock with braided cable (for QR front wheel), cable lock around saddle and frame (to hinder the buggers stealing my saddle), mini pump, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My Butler follows in the Bentley. At a discrete distance of course....

Elysian_Roads

2 spare inner tubes, puncture patches, cable ties, multi tool, 11 13 15 mm spanners, mini pliers, chain tool, front and rear lights, top bar bag (my ‘toolbox’), handlebar phone bag holder thingy for phone, power bank and cable, D lock with braided cable (for QR front wheel), cable lock around saddle and frame (to hinder the buggers stealing my saddle), mini pump, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Thank you @RealLeeHimself , NOW I have a certain Xmas carol playing in my head, with "five cable ties, four puncture patches, three metric spanners, two inner tubes and a partridge in a pear tree" as the words......

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I carry tools every ride on all my bikes. About 4000 miles a year and normally just use the puncture stuff a couple of times a year. Tools are more likely to be used for other peoples bikes, last year had to single speed someone else's bike after a snapped gear hanger and then rebuild the gears once a new hanger was obtained. Also fixed a snapped chain for a stranded stranger in the last couple of years. Have had to tweak spokes for people a few times but don't often need to touch my own bikes when out on the road, but it does happen!
ALWAYS take tools and know how to use them.

Slick

Guru
I've had a few comments about my belt and be ace attitude to what I carry in my rack bag, but after walking for over an hour carrying my bike turning up late for work I feel I need it, even although it's never happened since.

Phone
Wallet
Cable Lock
Small Pump
2 Co2 Cartridges
2 Tubes
Box Spanner
Various Spanners
Multitool
Cable Ties
Tyre Levers

Far too much really for a 15 mile each way commute 3 times a week.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Judging by the tools some people carry they must ride some pretty unreliable bikes.
Nah , its just some of us ride at times and in areas where if something goes wrong here are no bike shops, family members or public transport to rescue you.
For commuting i use panniers
one has...
wet weather gear
2 tubes
repair kit
multi tool
c02 inflator
battery back for front light
pump
other..
work clothes
sarrnies
If im out on a weekend ride i only use a saddle pack .
Commuting is 5 days, 4 on nights as i dont like riding at 3 am on early start fridays , then a Sunday ride family permitting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've had a few comments about my belt and be ace attitude to what I carry in my rack bag, but after walking for over an hour carrying my bike turning up late for work I feel I need it, even although it's never happened since.
It's strange that cycling seems to be treated more harshly than other forms of transport in this regard. Motorists suffering vehicle breakdowns seem to be expected to take time waiting for recovery or taking it to a mechanic, rather than they should have taken tools. Even self-inflicted failures like wrong fuel are often tolerated. Why? It can't be that people can't fix motor vehicle faults because many (most?) can't fix cycles either.

Slick

Guru
It's strange that cycling seems to be treated more harshly than other forms of transport in this regard. Motorists suffering vehicle breakdowns seem to be expected to take time waiting for recovery or taking it to a mechanic, rather than they should have taken tools. Even self-inflicted failures like wrong fuel are often tolerated. Why? It can't be that people can't fix motor vehicle faults because many (most?) can't fix cycles either.
Never really thought about it like that before, although I think my changing a flat unaided on a motorway last night is attracting some health and safety questions in the cafe.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

I've got a "breakdown service" on the bikes (it's bundled with my bike insurance) although I've not had cause to use it and am struggling to think of any time I would, but it's reassuring to know it's there.
In mechanical terms a bike is a fairly simple bit of kit and most eventualities can be sorted by a little knowledge or a bodge to get you home.
In a modern car with 40-million (or more) lines of computer codes running everything it's often a lot more complicated. You'd be surprised how the seemingly simplest of jobs on a modern car now required it to be plugged into a diagnostic machine for a rest before things work properly again.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In mechanical terms a bike is a fairly simple bit of kit and most eventualities can be sorted by a little knowledge or a bodge to get you home.
In a modern car with 40-million (or more) lines of computer codes running everything it's often a lot more complicated. You'd be surprised how the seemingly simplest of jobs on a modern car now required it to be plugged into a diagnostic machine for a rest before things work properly again.
Not really surprising to me because I know where the standardised On Board Diagnostic port is and how to connect it to my smart phone. Why aren't drivers expected to carry this sort of relatively cheap (compared to a car) tool and to know how to use it for simple tasks? It's often harder to diagnose a fault on most cycles, which don't have anything similar.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got a "breakdown service" on the bikes (it's bundled with my bike insurance) although I've not had cause to use it and am struggling to think of any time I would, but it's reassuring to know it's there.
I looked into these breakdown services before, but seemed pointless in my area as by the time they got to me i might as well have walked.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I carry tools* for luck.

The last time i had a puncture i had my pump and my patches, but for some reason the allen key to release my wheels wasn't there. The time before that, part of my pump was missing. I don't seem to get punctures when i have everything i need to fix one.
My cranks had a habit of working loose, until i began carrying an 8mm allen key to tighten them up... they've never worked loose whilst that's in my saddle bag.

Sod's Law dictates that if i don't have something, I'll need it.

* Tyre leavers, four allen keys, patches, chain tool and a few spare links... all stowed in the saddle bag, plus a frame pump.

Top Bottom