Cycling equipment storage on a bike

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by froome, 25 Jan 2018.

1. Thomson

Thomson Active Member

Spare innertube. Puncture kit. 3 metal levers. Multi tool.

5 days a week 30 miles a week.

2. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Each bike has a Topeak saddle bag with the following in:
    2x inner tubes
    Multi-tool
    Tyre levers
    Pack of self adhesive patches - either Park Tools or Scabs
    Disc brake spacer thingy.

Each bike also has a pump attached to the frame.

On the road bikes, the saddle bag also contains a CO2 canister and adapter.

If I'm going to be out all day I'll take a powerbank in case the phone or Garmin needs a top up.

The reason I've got the full kit on each bike is because I used to swap the saddle bag between bikes, but kept forgetting and would only realise it wasn't there mid-ride. I got away with it, but it was only a matter of time...^_^
    I do have a top tube bag that does get swapped between bikes - into that goes my mobile, a credit card, about £5 in £1 coins, emergency Haribo and either an energy bar or a Snickers.

As for riding the bike, ideally it would be every day but often it's only weekends.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2018
  3. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Staff Member

Spare inner tube, pump, tyre levers, multintool, spanner if bike has nutted axels.
    More bits if the ride is a longer one than the commute or if I'm with a group.
    I ride my bike(s) most days.
    Rarely do get punctures, the stuff is mostly for helping out others.
    Occasionally, if I'm planning a big shop, I will chance it, leave the puncture repair stuff behind to have more space for the shopping.

NorthernDave likes this.
  4. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

2 spare inner tubes, puncture patches, cable ties, multi tool, 11 13 15 mm spanners, mini pliers, chain tool, front and rear lights, top bar bag (my ‘toolbox’), handlebar phone bag holder thingy for phone, power bank and cable, D lock with braided cable (for QR front wheel), cable lock around saddle and frame (to hinder the buggers stealing my saddle), mini pump, and a partridge in a pear tree.

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

My Butler follows in the Bentley. At a discrete distance of course....

6. Elysian_Roads

Elysian_Roads Well-Known Member

Thank you @RealLeeHimself , NOW I have a certain Xmas carol playing in my head, with "five cable ties, four puncture patches, three metric spanners, two inner tubes and a partridge in a pear tree" as the words......

ADarkDraconis, mjr and RealLeeHimself like this.
  7. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

I carry tools every ride on all my bikes. About 4000 miles a year and normally just use the puncture stuff a couple of times a year. Tools are more likely to be used for other peoples bikes, last year had to single speed someone else's bike after a snapped gear hanger and then rebuild the gears once a new hanger was obtained. Also fixed a snapped chain for a stranded stranger in the last couple of years. Have had to tweak spokes for people a few times but don't often need to touch my own bikes when out on the road, but it does happen!
    ALWAYS take tools and know how to use them.

8. Slick

Slick Veteran

I've had a few comments about my belt and be ace attitude to what I carry in my rack bag, but after walking for over an hour carrying my bike turning up late for work I feel I need it, even although it's never happened since.

Phone
    Wallet
    Cable Lock
    Small Pump
    2 Co2 Cartridges
    2 Tubes
    Box Spanner
    Various Spanners
    Multitool
    Cable Ties
    Tyre Levers

Far too much really for a 15 mile each way commute 3 times a week.

9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I've got no other form of transport so I carry pretty much everything I need to fix the bike if anything untoward happens (no option of ringing home for a lift either as Maz doesn't drive) alright I'm not carrying things like crank extractors or headset spanners but enough to 'tweak' whilst I'm out if I need to.

10. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Everyday.

If I'm doing utility rides round the local area, shopping and things I dont bother taking repair kit out as its easier to wheel it home and sort it out here.
    Further than that I always take the lot, tubes, patches, rubber gloves, pumps, chain tool and links, multi tool etc. I've no car driver to collect me so I have to be able to sort the problem out and get home myself.

raleighnut likes this.
  11. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Nah , its just some of us ride at times and in areas where if something goes wrong here are no bike shops, family members or public transport to rescue you.
    For commuting i use panniers
    one has...
    wet weather gear
    2 tubes
    repair kit
    multi tool
    c02 inflator
    battery back for front light
    pump
    other..
    work clothes
    sarrnies
    If im out on a weekend ride i only use a saddle pack .
    Commuting is 5 days, 4 on nights as i dont like riding at 3 am on early start fridays , then a Sunday ride family permitting.

12. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Locks , i forgot them.
    I leave mine at work attached to the bike shed as most do .
    Motor bike chain +lock and a cable lock .

I like Skol likes this.
  13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

It's strange that cycling seems to be treated more harshly than other forms of transport in this regard. Motorists suffering vehicle breakdowns seem to be expected to take time waiting for recovery or taking it to a mechanic, rather than they should have taken tools. Even self-inflicted failures like wrong fuel are often tolerated. Why? It can't be that people can't fix motor vehicle faults because many (most?) can't fix cycles either.

ADarkDraconis, NorthernDave and Slick like this.
  14. Slick

Slick Veteran

Never really thought about it like that before, although I think my changing a flat unaided on a motorway last night is attracting some health and safety questions in the cafe.

ADarkDraconis and NorthernDave like this.
  15. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I've got a "breakdown service" on the bikes (it's bundled with my bike insurance) although I've not had cause to use it and am struggling to think of any time I would, but it's reassuring to know it's there.
    In mechanical terms a bike is a fairly simple bit of kit and most eventualities can be sorted by a little knowledge or a bodge to get you home.
    In a modern car with 40-million (or more) lines of computer codes running everything it's often a lot more complicated. You'd be surprised how the seemingly simplest of jobs on a modern car now required it to be plugged into a diagnostic machine for a rest before things work properly again.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice