1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling equipment storage on a bike

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by froome, 25 Jan 2018.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Not really surprising to me because I know where the standardised On Board Diagnostic port is and how to connect it to my smart phone. Why aren't drivers expected to carry this sort of relatively cheap (compared to a car) tool and to know how to use it for simple tasks? It's often harder to diagnose a fault on most cycles, which don't have anything similar.

2. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

I looked into these breakdown services before, but seemed pointless in my area as by the time they got to me i might as well have walked.

3. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I carry tools* for luck.

The last time i had a puncture i had my pump and my patches, but for some reason the allen key to release my wheels wasn't there. The time before that, part of my pump was missing. I don't seem to get punctures when i have everything i need to fix one.
    My cranks had a habit of working loose, until i began carrying an 8mm allen key to tighten them up... they've never worked loose whilst that's in my saddle bag.

Sod's Law dictates that if i don't have something, I'll need it.

* Tyre leavers, four allen keys, patches, chain tool and a few spare links... all stowed in the saddle bag, plus a frame pump.

4. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I take a rabbit’s foot.

I only puncture on the ride home after an event or find my tyre flat the morning after.

I take a couple of tubes, Skabs, multi tool, tyre levers, cable ties, quick link and a soy-sauce-fish-thing with lube only because everyone else does.

NorthernDave likes this.
  5. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Spare tube, repair kit, tyre levers, small adjustable wrench, dumbbell spanner, couple of allen keys, chain tool, pump (frame pump or mini).

Unfortunately, the only time I've had a breakdown recently was a broken rear mech hanger and a mangled chain and there wasn't much I could do about that. Fortunately I was only about five miles from home and walked back (coasting on the downhills). Had I been further away I'd probably have tried to fix up a single-speed arrangement.

How often do I ride? I average about once a week, purely for pleasure - commuting is out, as I work at home.

6. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I agree - it's not something I'd have paid for, but as it was included I've put the number in my phone just in case.
    On most of my rides I'm either near enough a station to get a train to within a mile of home if I have a catastrophic failure, or can call and ask Mrs ND if she fancies a drive...:laugh:

7. The lack of a rescue service does bother me. I guess anything that leaves the bike unridable will require a local taxi to the nearest train station,

I've told this story before, but I like it. The only time I've needed rescue was after I came off on wet leaves on a steep downhill, only about 30km from home. I was merrily skidding along on my backside, just behind my bike and came to a halt in front of a Land Rover coming up the hill. I hurriedly got up and tried to act normal, like you do, not noticing that my rear wheel was a complete pringle with the inner tube hanging out. Fortunately the driver did notice, and was a very nice chap, who was going to within a couple of miles of my home. Even more fortunately his errand was to help his sister move house, so the back of the landrover was completely empty and ready for me to chuck my bike in.

Had he not been there it would have been about a 5k walk, carrying the bike, to the nearest train station.

8. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

The only time I really would have appreciated a rescue was when I had a rear axle fail. I was on Purbeck where there are no trains (but at least I was near the Sandbanks ferry), and I ended up having to walk 10 miles home.

But there have been countless times when I've been saved by having the basic tool set with me.

mjr and Dogtrousers like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    froome

froome New Member

How often does everyone have to use repairing tools on their bikes?

10. Do you mean on the road (rarely, but it happens) or at home doing maintenance (regularly).

11. OP
    OP
    froome

froome New Member

Just out on the road as the roads can be quite rough on bikes

12. Very rarely. When it does happen, it's almost always because I've done something stupid like not tightening something up properly. Plus occasional punctures.

ADarkDraconis and Alan O like this.
  13. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

The rule is: if you've got it with you, you probably won't need it but if you've left it at home you probably will...:rolleyes:

14. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Very rarely for me, but I think that's common with the kind of people who go out properly prepared - because we're also the kind of people who regularly check our bikes and keep them in good condition with everything adjusted properly so they're less likely to break down.

gilespargiter, JhnBssll, mjr and 3 others like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    froome

froome New Member