Cycling equipment storage on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Spare tube, repair kit, tyre levers, small adjustable wrench, dumbbell spanner, couple of allen keys, chain tool, pump (frame pump or mini).

Unfortunately, the only time I've had a breakdown recently was a broken rear mech hanger and a mangled chain and there wasn't much I could do about that. Fortunately I was only about five miles from home and walked back (coasting on the downhills). Had I been further away I'd probably have tried to fix up a single-speed arrangement.

How often do I ride? I average about once a week, purely for pleasure - commuting is out, as I work at home.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I looked into these breakdown services before, but seemed pointless in my area as by the time they got to me i might as well have walked.

I agree - it's not something I'd have paid for, but as it was included I've put the number in my phone just in case.
On most of my rides I'm either near enough a station to get a train to within a mile of home if I have a catastrophic failure, or can call and ask Mrs ND if she fancies a drive...:laugh:

Alan O

Über Member
The lack of a rescue service does bother me. I guess anything that leaves the bike unridable will require a local taxi to the nearest train station,

I've told this story before, but I like it. The only time I've needed rescue was after I came off on wet leaves on a steep downhill, only about 30km from home. I was merrily skidding along on my backside, just behind my bike and came to a halt in front of a Land Rover coming up the hill. I hurriedly got up and tried to act normal, like you do, not noticing that my rear wheel was a complete pringle with the inner tube hanging out. Fortunately the driver did notice, and was a very nice chap, who was going to within a couple of miles of my home. Even more fortunately his errand was to help his sister move house, so the back of the landrover was completely empty and ready for me to chuck my bike in.

Had he not been there it would have been about a 5k walk, carrying the bike, to the nearest train station.
The only time I really would have appreciated a rescue was when I had a rear axle fail. I was on Purbeck where there are no trains (but at least I was near the Sandbanks ferry), and I ended up having to walk 10 miles home.

But there have been countless times when I've been saved by having the basic tool set with me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
done and just for the record I have spent over £200 on my lighting rig but it will fit on any of my bikes (oh and that doesn't include the £50 extra I spent on the spare battery pack for the fronts)

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Top Bottom