Cycling etiquette - sitting on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

This has happened twice now - once last week, where a bloke sat on my wheel (unannounced) and stayed there for a good while, before shooting off on his own, and now today where a couple of guys sat on the wheel of me and another cyclist, didn't say a word and disappeared off into the distance after enjoying the tow for a few miles. Might just be me, but this seems super rude. One to do it without even alerting me to your presence, but two, doing it and then not even repaying the favour. Thoughts?!

Really don't mind so long as they thank me for the tow. Just rude otherwise.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't really bother me as long as they take a turn.. What does bother me though is if someone wheel sucks me for a while, overtakes then either doesn't make it stick or slows down.

Last edited:
It just rude. Despite that I wont bother changing my speed or direction. I just accept that it part of life. A thank you however will brighten my day.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This has happened twice now - once last week, where a bloke sat on my wheel (unannounced) and stayed there for a good while, before shooting off on his own, and now today where a couple of guys sat on the wheel of me and another cyclist, didn't say a word and disappeared off into the distance after enjoying the tow for a few miles. Might just be me, but this seems super rude. One to do it without even alerting me to your presence, but two, doing it and then not even repaying the favour. Thoughts?!

did you say hello to him / them?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

did you say hello to him / them?

When I'd realised they were behind I turned to look and said 'you ok' but I got nothing back as they were too engrossed in conv with eachother. It's more the fact they just shot off without even a thanks after sitting in for ages.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What's the big deal?

Imho they probably don't have the energy or speed to pass you cleanly so rather than making a big fuss of trying and failing to pass they just slow to your pace and ride patiently until you go your separate ways. Better that than they pass you then slow down as you would surely find that annoying too?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

What's the big deal?

Imho they probably don't have the energy or speed to pass you cleanly so rather than making a big fuss of trying and failing to pass they just slow to your pace and ride patiently until you go your separate ways. Better that than they pass you then slow down as you would surely find that annoying too?

🤨 Judging by the speed that they shot off at, they absolutely did have the speed. I've no issue with people sitting on a wheel as long as they let me know they're there. The guys today, same as the guy last week seem to think it's appropriate to sneak up on people and not say a word. Someone wants to sit on a wheel for a bit? Cool - just let me know you're there 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom