Cycling etiquette - sitting on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Someone on Saturday arvo took an un-noticed tow off me going through Keighley - and then complained when I cleared my hooter.
If people are going to swear at me I wish they would have bit of imagination. They passed me with streamers on their left hand and a glistening on their cheek. In their case if they had let me know they were there they probably would have been less moist and not almost run into the back of a taxi.
It gave me the giggles until I got to Riddlesden.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Someone on Saturday arvo took an un-noticed tow off me going through Keighley - and then complained when I cleared my hooter.
If people are going to swear at me I wish they would have bit of imagination. They passed me with streamers on their left hand and a glistening on their cheek. In their case if they had let me know they were there they probably would have been less moist and not almost run into the back of a taxi.
It gave me the giggles until I got to Riddlesden.

I have a vivid memory of passing someone on a downhill during lockdown, doing about 28mph. Obviously I gave them a wide berth and called out "passing right" even earlier than usual as they'd taken a hand off the bars and I thought they might be about to clear the nose. I was right, and my calling out meant they delayed because they knew I was there. :laugh:

A bit back, I needed to be elsewhere later in the morning, so decided to go for a short but rapid blast. I could see a cyclist up ahead, and I caught and passed him fairly quickly on a slight hill. Not long after, I sensed something behind me, and it was the same gay taking a wheel. I had no problem at all with it, and he then passed me, and said as he'd had a rest, it was only fair I got one, and he settled in front.

As he passed, I noticed he was on a heavily laden single speed looking like he was on a long distance tour. I was blowing out of every orifice to sit with him, and quite relieved when he went straight on as I turned off, and then I had a proper rest, as I watched him press on at the pace he'd been dragging me along at. :laugh:

alex_cycles

Veteran
10 meters away ??

Actually I get Vickster's point. If you go out to get some "me time" and be "alone with nature" it isn't very helpful to have someone tagging along behind you. Just knowing that they're there is enough to spoil that experience. I would probably just stop and wait for them to pass, but that might not work in all circumstances. (If I was feeling fresh and mischievous I might try to draw them into a race by gradually speeding up :laugh:)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, delving into my memory bank it did once happen to me, in Warwickshire. I was riding on the flat into a bit of a headwind and two riders caught up with me and asked if they could tag along. I thought it a bit weird as they must have had to slow down but I agreed. After a bit there was a slight incline and my pace naturally dropped and they buggered off. Much to my relief.

A very odd incident.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Can’t say I’ve ever had a persistent wheel parasite and I certainly wouldn’t hitch myself to some stranger‘s wheel without a word. If anything, the sucker’s position is riskier if you don’t know who’s up front and how they ride.

If I’m catching someone but with not much of a closing speed I’ll either hang back, pull alongside and engage in conversation/take turns or fake a puncture to get out of it all together.

My least favourite thing is the rider who goes past but obviously Cannot Make It Stick. A plague on their house. If you’ve gone past me, I expect you to be a faster rider than me. If I’m catching you, it’s because you’ve slowed down after passing me. I have no interest in catching you. Why did you do it? FFS just fake a puncture!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Actually, delving into my memory bank it did once happen to me, in Warwickshire. I was riding on the flat into a bit of a headwind and two riders caught up with me and asked if they could tag along. I thought it a bit weird as they must have had to slow down but I agreed. After a bit there was a slight incline and my pace naturally dropped and they buggered off. Much to my relief.

A very odd incident.

They're funny buggers from Warwickshire, a bit like those Derbyshire lot, but no way as weird as the Leicestershire mob.

Chislenko

Veteran
If someone passes me but then just sits in front I have no reservation about taking a tow.
It's easy to chase and pass someone. It's somewhat harder to pass then pull away.
If you can't pull away then don't blame the guy you've just passed for taking a tow.

Well put Darius.

I was slowly catching a bloke on the bottom road to Rhyl the other day. Eventually got level with him, said hello, he blanked me, I pulled in front but knew I didn't have a lot of energy left for a long pull.

He took my tow for a spell then passed me and I never saw him again😟😟

Top Bottom