Cycling etiquette - sitting on wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, we are a bunch of sensitive, self-conscious, unconfident individuals aren't we?
Let's put it into perspective shall we. There are many cyclists out there and the UK is not sparsely populated, even in most of the more remote areas. If you head out on your bike on a nice day there is a good chance you will encounter another rider and they may even be travelling a similar direction and speed as you. You will occasionally end up with someone riding behind you (and for the record, 10m is NOT close!). Just get over it, it isn't your road.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Well, we are a bunch of sensitive, self-conscious, unconfident individuals aren't we?
I don't fit that description, but others might.

Let's put it into perspective shall we. There are many cyclists out there and the UK is not sparsely populated, even in most of the more remote areas. If you head out on your bike on a nice day there is a good chance you will encounter another rider and they may even be travelling a similar direction and speed as you. You will occasionally end up with someone riding behind you (and for the record, 10m is NOT close!). Just get over it, it isn't your road.

I can't fault any of that, but I do understand that if people have gone out on a bike to be alone, then not being alone disrupts that aim.

vickster

Legendary Member
I ride on busy potholed roads. There are enough hazards without a stranger cycling close (I don’t like being tailgated in the car either for the same reason).

And yes when it comes to having some nobber (it’s always men I’m afraid) hanging on my back wheel, I’ll admit I am unconfident and self conscious. What of it.
We’re not all big fast blokes on bikes you know :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
The other trick is to deploy the smoke or oil slick behind you.

R (10).jpeg
Smokescreen at the ready:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride slower and slower. They quickly get the message

But what if it turns out like DUEL! :eek:

:laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think CC must attract more than its fair share of grumpy people, judging by some of those posts on here. Why does everyone assume that someone who is "not them" will smash into the back of them if closer than 5m away?

if i catch up with someone or they catch me / us, its no great deal, say hi and continue on , have a chat, ride alongside, whatever.

Normally if two people / groups come together when riding in same direction, its because there is a reasonable speed differential anyway.
Commuting thru london was something else, nose to tail on cycle lanes etc, some odd standard of riding places, big speed differentials, lots to "wanna be pro's" sat within a inch of others back wheels.....but I never once witnesses anyone "rear end" someone else's bike.

I did once rear end a van, that turned right from a side road (from my right) in front of me and then braked as there was traffic in front of him / us, and he left me no room to stop in slightly damp conditions. No damage either way as I'd scrubbed most of my speed off, i just needed another 1/2 car length, he did jump out and apologise.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I think CC must attract more than its fair share of grumpy people, judging by some of those posts on here. Why does everyone assume that someone who is "not them" will smash into the back of them if closer than 5m away?
I suspect it's because of the continual diet of negativity and fear spewed out by the government, media and social media. :eek:

In the recent thread "things you hate about cycling" I was going to answer "threads like this one" :laugh: but decided to keep my gob shut.:wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom